Every town needs an independent cinema, says movie star John Hurt
Published at 09:22, Friday, 24 February 2012
Movie star John Hurt joined the fight to save independent cinemas as he arrived in Keswick for the town’s 13th film festival.
Hurt, who visited Patterdale in the 1950s, has spent the last week exploring the area with his wife Anwen Rees Meyers and his dog Pilchard.
He said: “I used to come hiking here with my brother and in the last 60 years the area has not changed – I couldn’t say the same about the Namibian dessert.
“I remember camping and one of our tent poles was ripped up in a storm.”
Last night, Hurt, 72, attended the opening party at the Theatre by the Lake in Keswick and was present for the northern premiere of In Love With Alma Cogan, which his wife produced and Hurt has a cameo in.
A number of films are being shown at the festival with Hurt in: In Love With Alma Cogan, Lou, Sailcloth, The Naked Civil Servant, An Englishman in New York and Melancholia.
In our exclusive 10-minute video interview, John Hurt talks about his career, gives advice to budding actors and the importance of keeping open local cinemas.
The full story can be read in today's edition of The Cumberland News.
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (39 comments)
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (7 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (4 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (29 comments)
- Carlisle can't cope with any more budget supermarkets - claim (41 comments)
- Work starts to redevelop Carlisle Airport (32 comments)
- Carlisle taxi drivers must pass spoken English test to get licence (9 comments)
- Carlisle council must cut £4.5m more from budget (21 comments)
- Free wifi network to launch in Carlisle city centre next week (14 comments)
- MPs press case to dual A69 road between Carlisle and Newcastle (31 comments)
- Man who scrapped Cumbrian on-street parking charges to quit (15 comments)