Cumberland Show secretary hands in notice
Last updated at 13:38, Friday, 27 June 2014
The Cumberland Show is looking for a new secretary.
Farmer’s wife Lorraine Phillips is leaving after less than a year at the helm.
A show stalwart, Lorraine bowed out after this year’s record-breaking show at Carlisle Racecourse a fortnight ago.
She said: “I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the experience and there is a great team.
“But it’s been a baptism of fire. The amount of admin is more than I thought it would be and for this reason I cannot give it the time it needs.”
Lorraine, who lives with husband Steven on the family farm at Roadhead, said she had informed the show committee in January that she would not be carrying on.
She took over the reins from long-serving secretary, Donella Rozario, who retired after last year’s 175th anniversary show.
The secretary is the only paid employee of the Cumberland Show Society.
Show chairwoman Gillian Potts said they were sorry to lose Lorraine.
“She’s been superb. Unfortunately we only had her for less than a year, but she had a lot of good ideas,” said Gillian. “There is a lot of red tape attached to a show like the Cumberland and it is not as straightforward as it used to be.”
Gillian has volunteered to “step into the breach” until a new secretary is found.
“We need to get together as a society and thrash things out. It may become a split role, but it all depends on finance,” she added.
Final visitor numbers are still being totted up, but organisers say the gate is up on last year’s figure of 20,000.
First published at 13:32, Friday, 27 June 2014
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (4 comments)
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (39 comments)
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (7 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (4 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (29 comments)
- Man arrested after serious Carlisle car crash
- New department store for Carlisle's empty Hoopers building (25 comments)
- Carlisle club once sold for £2m fails to reach auction reserve
- Record deal for Carlisle singer's X Factor group Only The Young
- Story writes-off £1.1m loan to Carlisle Utd (27 comments)