Centre accolade for Watchtree Wheelers
Published at 14:31, Friday, 28 December 2012
The Watchtree Wheelers are riding high into 2013, having been named Cycling Projects Wheels for All Centre of 2012.
The UK’s only cycling facility within a nature reserve for disabled and disadvantaged people, at Great Orton, near Carlisle, was also involved in the build-up to this summer’s London Olympics, having two members invited to carry the Olympic torch.
Watchtree Wheelers is a social enterprise, created within the Watchtree Nature Reserve.
The former World War Two airfield was transformed into a nature reserve 10 years ago and Watchtree Wheelers was launched in 2009 after fundraising to finance the creation of the cycle path and purchase of a fleet of specially designed cycles to offer people with any disability the opportunity to enjoy cycling in the outdoors.
Ryan Dobson, project officer for the Watchtree Wheelers, said: “2012 has been an amazing year for the Watchtree Wheelers.
“Being awarded the title Cycling Projects Wheels for All Centre of the Year 2012 is a fantastic achievement for us as it recognises the advances we have made since our launch.
“Watchtree Wheelers runs several sessions a week for organisations and individuals to enjoy cycling here, in a safe environment with a range of cycles to use.”
For more information, visit www.watchtree.co.uk
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (8 comments)
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (39 comments)
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (7 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (5 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (29 comments)
In west Cumbria
- Millom man found topless and in possession of cocaine (3 comments)
- Road closures in Copeland after heavy snowfalll and freezing temperatures forecast (2 comments)
- Charity highlights ‘tragic’ suicide of Cumbria prison inmate
- Walney Man, 61, had horse porn on PC (19 comments)
- Millom man tells how he is battling cancer for the FOURTH time
- Female Millom cop wrestles petrol attacker to ground
- Millom charity bungee jump - pictures
- Millom man airlifted to hospital after heart attack
- Eco-village plans hope
- Local Information