Carlisle United chaplain going coast to coast for cancer charity
Last updated at 14:59, Friday, 16 May 2014
Riding reverend Alun Jones will be pushing his false hip to the limit – all for a worthy cause.
The vicar at St Herbert’s Church in Currock, Carlisle, is taking on the 140-mile Coast to Coast bike ride from Whitehaven to Tynemouth.
The 60-year-old is going cross-country to raise money for Prostate Cancer UK on behalf of Carlisle United, where he is club chaplain.
Mr Jones took up cycling a few years ago after a broken hip put pay to his love of playing tennis.
He said: “I played tennis all my life to a high standard but a couple of years ago I broke my hip.
“I had to have metal rods inserted to hold it all together so I took up cycling to help me get over my injury.
“I like a challenge and I’m looking forward to finding out whether the hip will snap or not!”
The opportunity came about after Prostate Cancer UK challenged all Football League clubs in Englandto raise funds for the charity. Carlisle United had originally planned for Mr Jones to take part in a bike ride from Buckingham Palace to central Amsterdam.
But the event clashed with Pentecost Sunday on June 8 so he asked if he could do the Coast to Coast ride a few days earlier instead, and the charity agreed.
Carlisle United spokesman Andy Hall said: “Alun has stepped into the breach to cover the monumental task of raising money for Prostate Cancer UK.
“We are delighted because it is a fantastic cause and a great way of raising awareness of prostate cancer.”
Mr Jones will be completing the ride solo over two days on June 5 and 6 and is aiming to raise £1,200 – and he’s more than ready for the task.
He said: “I’m looking forward to the challenge – I’ve completed the Coast to Coast Hadrian’s Cycleway 160-mile route previously.
“The hardest sections will be going up Whinlatter Pass and Hartside in Northumberland.
“But I love cycling and I go out and do 30 or 40 miles two or three times a week so I’m feeling confident and I’m prepared for it.”
To sponsor him visit www.justgiving.com/AlunJonesCUFC.
First published at 14:12, Friday, 16 May 2014
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (4 comments)
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (39 comments)
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (7 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (4 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (29 comments)
- Man arrested after serious Carlisle car crash
- New department store for Carlisle's empty Hoopers building (25 comments)
- Record deal for Carlisle singer's X Factor group Only The Young
- Carlisle club once sold for £2m fails to reach auction reserve
- Story writes-off £1.1m loan to Carlisle Utd (27 comments)