Carlisle pupils preparing to take part in Christmas lights switch-on
Last updated at 14:17, Friday, 16 November 2012
These little lords are a-leaping excitedly as they prepare for the start of Carlisle’s Christmas countdown.
Pupils from Stanwix Primary School are among those taking part in a Twelve Days of Christmas Community Parade.
It will be one of the highlights of a celebration marking the switch-on of the city’s festive lights on Sunday.
Children aged eight and nine will play the 10 lords-a-leaping of day 10 and have been eagerly preparing for their part.
Headteacher Kuldip McMullan said: “They’re really looking forward to it.
“They’ve enjoyed making hats and designing the costumes to wear. It’s great to be taking part in this community event.”
Although just 10 children will play the lords, the rest of their class will be joining in the parade wearing special hats they have made. Pupils from other classes will be going along to watch with their families.
A number of community groups are taking part in the procession inspired by the traditional Christmas song, playing the 11 other days.
Sunday’s switch-on in the city centre will also feature former X Factor finalist Jamie ‘afro’ Archer.
A string of Carlisle dance acts and singers will also feature as part of the entertainment.
Mayor David Wilson will perform the switch-on, at which the sporting and community heroes who carried the Olympic torch through the city this summer will again be honoured.
Carlisle City Council is organising the switch-on in conjunction with events firm She’s Gott It!.
Crowds are being encouraged to come out and enjoy the entertainment.
Councillor Anne Quilter said: “Preparations are well underway for the switch-on.
“There’s a packed programme of free, family-friendly entertainment.”
Entertainment to mark Carlisle’s big switch-on will run from 2pm until 6pm:
- 2pm-2.30pm: Twelve Days of Christmas Community Parade starting at Scotch Street.
- 2.30pm-3.10pm: Comperes Christmas Crackers and Bruce Airhead. The comperes for the whole event – a duo from Carlisle’s The Bread & Butter Company – take to the stage.
- 3.10pm-4.10pm: Local acts The 45s, Nixon Dance, Razzamataz, Stevie D and Cumbria Dance perform.
- 4.10pm-4.25pm: Christmas Crackers return.
- 4.25pm- 5pm: Local Acts Dancerz Cumbria, Heroes Cheerleading, Richard Rose Dance Group and StagedRight Productions.
- 5pm-5.30pm: Bruce Airhead Christmas Show.
- 5.30pm-6pm: Jamie ‘AFRO’ Archer
- 6pm: Lights switch-on.
First published at 14:03, Friday, 16 November 2012
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk