Carlisle nightclub opens with 10 new jobs
Last updated at 14:53, Friday, 14 December 2012
A nightclub in Carlisle will open tonight creating 10 new jobs.
Rumours in Englishgate Plaza is opening in the unit formerly occupied by Terminal and Kiss nightclubs. Both had closed leaving the premises vacant.
The club, which is being run by Darryl Thomas and James Mackie, will be open on Tuesday, Friday and Saturday nights and is also available for private hire.
Mr Thomas, who has a background in media and is also a licensee, said: “James used to work at Mood and he came back to Carlisle for a night out and was amazed at the bar culture here.
“On one of our nights out we watched as people hopped from bar to bar but at about 12.30pm they got into a taxi and went home as there was nowhere for them to go.
“We identified a gap in the market and decided if an opportunity arose then we would go for it and utilise our experience.”
Mr Thomas, who has worked at city bars including Cassa, stressed that the new club was about creating an atmosphere and not about its location.
He said: “We want it to have a great atmosphere like Mood used to. It’s not where you go but who you’re with that creates a good atmosphere.”
Tuesday nights will be aimed at students and Friday nights will be music themed nights.
Mr Thomas said: “Friday tends to be quite quiet. We want to give people a reason to come out and listen to a different type of music that’s not the same week in week out.
“At the weekend we are aiming at the 30+ market.”
Saturday nights will be a revival night featuring music from five decades.
Renovations have been carried out at the club including a newly restructured reception, changed bar area, new toilets and DJ booth.
“The format we inherited was a classic nightclub set up that was a bit tired.
“We’ve changed that and refurbished it,” said Mr Thomas.
Ten new bar and cleaning staff are also being taken on.
There will be a fancy dress party on Tuesday, December 18 and Robbie Williams tribute act, Tony Lewis, will perform next Friday, December 21.
DJ Mally Chung and special guests will spin some discs in a Back to The Basics night on Boxing Day.
There will be a Christmas party disco for under 16’s – with soft drinks – on December 28 from 7pm to 10pm.
For more information visit www.rumourscarlisle.co.uk
First published at 14:33, Friday, 14 December 2012
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (39 comments)
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (7 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (4 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (28 comments)
- Carlisle can't cope with any more budget supermarkets - claim (41 comments)
In west Cumbria
- Paedophile caught in Cumbria police sting jailed
- Cumbrian man cleared of blackmail and imitation firearm charges
- Cumbrian school out of special measures in record time (17 comments)
- Cumbrian boy's family has seven months to raise £60,000 for operation
- Volunteers wanted to rescue one of Cumbria's biggest carnivals (3 comments)
- Carlisle taxi drivers must pass spoken English test to get licence (7 comments)
- Carlisle council must cut £4.5m more from budget (15 comments)
- Free wifi network to launch in Carlisle city centre next week (14 comments)
- MPs press case to dual A69 road between Carlisle and Newcastle (26 comments)
- Man who scrapped Cumbrian on-street parking charges to quit (13 comments)