Cabs alert as woman dumped on Cumbrian road verge
Published at 14:10, Friday, 04 January 2013
POLICE today warned people against using unregistered taxis after a woman was dragged from a car and abandoned on a grass verge.
Officers said she had climbed into the back of a white car in Newtown Road, Carlisle, in the early hours of the morning, believing the vehicle she was getting into was a taxi.
The man behind the wheel then drove her to the western bypass, on the edges of the city, before pulling over.
Detectives said the woman, 58, was then yanked from the vehicle and left on a grass verge at the roadside.
This happened between the roundabouts linking the bypass route to Moorhouse Road and Burgh Road and the west of the city.
Officers appealed for witnesses to come forward as an investigation continued today.
A force spokeswoman added: “Officers would like to remind people to check that they are getting into a registered taxi before getting into vehicles.”
The woman, described as local, suffered cuts and bruises. The incident happened in the early hours of New Year’s Day.
Police issued a description of the driver. He was said to be white, in his late thirties and of medium build. He had short, dark brown hair. They also called for passers-by who helped the woman to come forward to aid their investigation.
The spokeswoman added: “A passing vehicle, described as a dark four-wheel drive vehicle, stopped and gave the victim a lift back into Carlisle. The vehicle contained a man, woman and small child.
“Police are appealing for the man and woman from that car to contact them as soon as possible.
“The victim sustained various minor scratches, cuts and bruises.”
The force urged anyone who knows anything about the incident to call Carlisle CID on 101.
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (13 comments)
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (39 comments)
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (8 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (5 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (29 comments)
In west Cumbria
- Carlisle girl banned from lessons until she changes hair colour (202 comments)
- Last-day Carlisle Utd match alert over Bob Marley theme fans (39 comments)
- Carlisle billboard blunder 'funny' claims Labour candidate (68 comments)
- Carlisle city centre bandstand set to be replaced (34 comments)
- Park and ride plan to ease parking problems at Carlisle hospital (25 comments)