Buyer on cards for Cumbrian council depot site
Last updated at 14:30, Friday, 11 April 2014
A potential buyer has been found for the council depot in Penrith.
The Old London Road site, which includes a former gasworks, could change hands following discussions, a meeting at Dufton heard.
Although council chief executive Robin Hooper said the matter was commercially sensitive and he could reveal no more than that, the announcement was welcomed by councillors. The council plans to dispose of the site and move the authority’s contractor, Amey, to a more suitable location.
Discussions are already taking place with the county council about relocating Amey to Skirsgill, on the outskirts of town, as the town centre depot is felt to be unsuitable for such an industrial use.
Buildings on the Old London Road site are said to need repairs, while, as a former gasworks, it is also classed as contaminated land.
A scrutiny review group has already discussed options for use of the site, such as housing, but with no preferred option.
First published at 14:12, Friday, 11 April 2014
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (13 comments)
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (39 comments)
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (8 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (5 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (29 comments)
In west Cumbria
- Closing and reopening St Bees School would waste £1m - campaigners
- Majority Labour group refuses to join elected mayor's executive
- Man fell from roof while being chased, Carlisle court told
- 'Stupid beyond belief' drink-driver sentenced by Carlisle court
- Spoiled votes did not affect Copeland mayoral result, says runner-up
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (130 comments)
- Conservative Stevenson retains Carlisle (104 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Stagecoach making changes to bus routes across Carlisle (34 comments)
- Action to tackle starling problem in Carlisle city centre (24 comments)