Brampton information centre needs volunteers to help promote town
Last updated at 14:37, Friday, 24 February 2012
Volunteers are needed to keep Brampton’s Tourist Information Centre open all year round.
The centre, in the Moot Hall, is open from March until the end of October. But Brampton Parish Council wants to keep it open longer to promote the town and cope with growing visitors numbers.
Vice-chairman Geoff Prest said: “We want it to be open for longer because we are getting more visitors in Brampton because it is such a wonderful place.”
He added that the volunteers would help point visitors to places of interest, including Hadrian’s Wall, Talkin Tarn, Gelt Woods and Lanercost Priory.
A total of 30 volunteers would be needed to work alongside Carlisle City Council staff.
But Mr Prest said that if the number of volunteers exceeded the target, people offering help would not be turned away.
“The more volunteers we have, the less commitment we need,” he added.
People wouldn’t need to work for more than two hours a fortnight.
The information centre receives £12,000 a year from the city council plus a grant from the parish council.
But Mr Prest said: “I’m hoping that we won’t need an awful lot of funding [once the volunteers are in place].
“Initially we are looking for the city council to help us out until we get it up an running.”
Volunteers and members of the parish council met representatives from Hadrian’s Wall Heritage Ltd on Tuesday.
To become a volunteer call Mr Prest on 016977 41319 or the parish council on 016977 3382.
First published at 14:08, Friday, 24 February 2012
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (13 comments)
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (39 comments)
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (8 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (5 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (29 comments)
In west Cumbria
- Carlisle girl banned from lessons until she changes hair colour (204 comments)
- Last-day Carlisle Utd match alert over Bob Marley theme fans (61 comments)
- Carlisle billboard blunder 'funny' claims Labour candidate (68 comments)
- Carlisle city centre bandstand set to be replaced (34 comments)
- Park and ride plan to ease parking problems at Carlisle hospital (25 comments)