Bid to open new fish and chip shop in Carlisle fails again
Published at 08:08, Friday, 01 February 2013
Controversial plans to open a new fish and chip shop have failed again.
Planners have dismissed an appeal against a previous refusal for a takeaway in Kingstown Road, Carlisle.
Attempts by Paul Fontana to convert his preferred site – a picture-framing store near Aldi – were refused last year following strong opposition.
Now his latest battle to open the takeaway has been dismissed by Carlisle City Council.
Mr Fontana, who is a partner in Fontana’s chip shop in London Road, had wanted to start his own separate business in Kingstown Road.
But neighbours campaigned against the move. They claimed the fish and chip shop would create parking problems, road safety issues and noise problems.
Mr Fontana argued that the situation had changed since the new northern bypass opened, saying traffic volumes on Kingstown Road had dropped.
But neighbours disagreed, saying the road remained busy and argued that future developments – including plans for an 850-home estate in the area – would further add to the number of cars using it regularly.
When plans went in front of Carlisle City Council in August last year, they were recommended for approval by officers. But councillors sided with objectors, voting seven to three to refuse consent. Mr Fontana believed there was not sufficient grounds to do this.
City council documents confirm an appeal has now been dismissed.
Mr Fontana declined to comment.
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
In west Cumbria
- West House loses cafe contract at hospital (18 comments)
- Church closed and declared unsafe as parts of ceiling fall down
- Go-ahead to turn former police station into restaurant
- Death of two-year-old Cumbrian boy was accident, says coroner
- First theft in 25 years may mean tighter security at Cumbrian museum
- £6m primary school planned for Carlisle (18 comments)
- German firm unveils plans for huge solar park near Carlisle (4 comments)
- Residents want action over Silloth’s ‘nauseating’ pong (9 comments)
- Call for action after crash at accident 'blackspot' near Carlisle (29 comments)
- Carlisle's Labour Party backs Jeremy Corbyn leadership bid (32 comments)