Asda website gives new Carlisle store summer opening date
Published at 11:35, Wednesday, 30 January 2013
A new Asda supermarket looks certain to open in Carlisle this summer after an opening date was posted on the company’s website.
Retail industry sources have long touted the chain giant as the likely contender to fill a store unit under construction at St Nicholas Gate Retail Park, off London Road.
The company, which already has a small store on the same site, has yet to officially confirm that it will be the neighbouring outlet’s operator.
Any new supermarket is likely to employ between 150 and 200 people.
The strongest indication yet that Asda is to move further along the retail park has come via the company’s website.
It has started recruiting staff for a number of new stores across the country, including one in Carlisle.
And the online entry lists its opening date as July 15.
Work has already started to fit out the unit as a supermarket.
Asda also has a store at Kingstown.
No company spokesman was available for comment as The Cumberland News went to press.
In 2011 Carlisle City Council granted planning permission for a supermarket in the unit that was previously occupied by MFI at St Nicholas Gate.
The opening of a store there forms part of a rapidly changing supermarket scene in Carlisle.
Sainsbury’s opened a store in Caldewgate last year, while Tesco has planning permission for a supermarket at Victoria Viaduct.
Negotiations are also at an advanced stage to complete a deal for a so far unnamed operator to buy a shop site at Morton from Carlisle City Council.
Economic analysis of supermarkets in Carlisle has shown that all major stores have exceeded performance expectations by millions of pounds.
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (39 comments)
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (7 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (4 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (29 comments)
- Carlisle can't cope with any more budget supermarkets - claim (41 comments)
In west Cumbria
- Paedophile caught in Cumbria police sting jailed
- Cumbrian man cleared of blackmail and imitation firearm charges
- Cumbrian school out of special measures in record time (17 comments)
- Cumbrian boy's family has seven months to raise £60,000 for operation
- Volunteers wanted to rescue one of Cumbria's biggest carnivals (3 comments)
- Carlisle taxi drivers must pass spoken English test to get licence (8 comments)
- Carlisle council must cut £4.5m more from budget (21 comments)
- Free wifi network to launch in Carlisle city centre next week (14 comments)
- MPs press case to dual A69 road between Carlisle and Newcastle (30 comments)
- Man who scrapped Cumbrian on-street parking charges to quit (13 comments)