Animals go in two by two to Cumbrian fancy dress
Published at 11:16, Saturday, 03 November 2012
DECIDING what to wear to a party can be difficult, especially if it is fancy dress.
And children heading to a do in Longtown were set an especially tough challenge – they had to dress up as two animals, at the same time.
The town’s Barnardo’s Sure Start centre on Mary Street held a ‘mixed-up animals ball’.
Julie Fletcher, the centre’s boss, explained that the event was designed as a non-scary alternative to Halloween for under fives.
“At this time of year we just want to give a different kind of focus,” she said.
She added that often the very young don’t enjoy Halloween because they find many of the ideas frightening.
Because of this the centre always holds an alternative event absent of anything with a spooky connection.
The theme changes every year. The idea of mixed up animals was decided on after the centre ran through ideas with parents.
“A lot of the families coming along have had access (to the centre) for a number of years, this is just a way of keeping things fresh,” Ms Fletcher said.
For information about the centre and the activities it runs call Julie Fletcher on 01228 792130.
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (13 comments)
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (39 comments)
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (8 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (5 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (29 comments)