Animals go in two by two to Cumbrian fancy dress
Published at 11:16, Saturday, 03 November 2012
DECIDING what to wear to a party can be difficult, especially if it is fancy dress.
And children heading to a do in Longtown were set an especially tough challenge – they had to dress up as two animals, at the same time.
The town’s Barnardo’s Sure Start centre on Mary Street held a ‘mixed-up animals ball’.
Julie Fletcher, the centre’s boss, explained that the event was designed as a non-scary alternative to Halloween for under fives.
“At this time of year we just want to give a different kind of focus,” she said.
She added that often the very young don’t enjoy Halloween because they find many of the ideas frightening.
Because of this the centre always holds an alternative event absent of anything with a spooky connection.
The theme changes every year. The idea of mixed up animals was decided on after the centre ran through ideas with parents.
“A lot of the families coming along have had access (to the centre) for a number of years, this is just a way of keeping things fresh,” Ms Fletcher said.
For information about the centre and the activities it runs call Julie Fletcher on 01228 792130.
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (7 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (3 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (28 comments)
- Yobs slaughter animals in sick allotment attack (38 comments)
- Carlisle can't cope with any more budget supermarkets - claim (41 comments)
In west Cumbria
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (37 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (42 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (14 comments)
- Neil McDonald out of the race to be Carlisle Utd manager
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (55 comments)
- New Story Homes estate would leave us hemmed in, claim Carlisle residents
- Deep clean to spruce up Carlisle city centre streets (14 comments)
- Carlisle city centre to get free wifi (26 comments)
- Carlisle Utd should offer manager job to McDonald (14 comments)
- Carr's Table Water biscuits lose Royal stamp of approval (16 comments)