Social club which closed following police probe reopens with new manager


A new manager has stepped in to reopen a social club which closed its doors after problems with violence and anti-social behaviour.

The owner of Wigton's West Street Social Club, Malcolm Wilson, surrendered his licence in March following a police probe into a string of incidents earlier in the year.

Mr Wilson decided to retire but hoped someone would come forward to take over the day-to-day management of the pub, formerly known as the British Legion Club.

It has now been taken over by Jordan Calvert, who had worked behind the bar for five years.

The 24-year-old told The Cumberland News that he plans on having a strict set of policies to make sure trouble is kept to a minimum and hopes to get the place thriving again.

Cumbria Police said they have been working with the new management and will continue to visit the premises to keep an eye on the situation.

Mr Calvert, who is the licensee, said: "Everyone around town has been pleased it's reopened.

"It's been a big miss in the town and I noticed that hardly anyone was out, it has been really quiet.

"There's only one other big pub in Wigton, the Throstle's Nest, the other ones are small."

He continued: "We have a strict policy. Any carry on and they are out, they won't get back in. There's no chances.

"We'll be strict on age verification and we will be doing everything strictly. We have complied with the police."

The premises was a popular drinking spot among residents and regularly held functions, being home to many darts competitions.

The reopening will be a boost to the nighttime economy of Wigton as it was one of the busiest in the town.

It has also reopened just in time for Wigton Carnival, which takes place next Saturday (JUN 17).

PC Harley Young, of Cumbria Police, said: "We have been working with the new licensee and Allerdale Council, offering advice and guidance, to prevent any further crime or disorder.

"Site visits have taken place and will continue to do so during pub opening hours.

"We will also continue to closely monitor the situation and ask local residents to also work with us and to report any incidents they become aware of."

A spokeswoman for Allerdale Council said: "An application was made to the council for the transfer of the licence on April 21, and an application to vary the premises licence was submitted on May 24 once a premises supervisor was in place.

"There are no new conditions with the licence and the Licensing Act 2003 allows for a surrendered licence to be transferred into a new name within 28 days of surrender."

Comment on this article

Generate a new code
Comments not OK? Click here to let us know
Have you read?