Golden Apple award finalists revealed
Today we reveal the finalists in the running to pick up prestigious awards for education, training and skills.
This week's arrival of a new academic year will spring a few nice surprises around the county as invitations for the Golden Apples Awards are received.
Finalists were selected by a judging panel last month and this week sees preparations for the awards gala event step up a gear.
All shortlisted finalists are being invited to the celebration taking place at The Cube at the University of Cumbria's Fusehill Street campus, Carlisle, on Friday, October 6.
West Lakes Academy in west Cumbria, newly selected as a national teaching school to help provide high-quality teacher training, is in the running for three awards.
The Egremont academy's assistant site manager Ken Brown appears in the shortlist for best support staff while Eli Hughes is in the best student category.
West Lakes Academy - judged to be outstanding by education regulator in the summer term - also appears in the shortlist for the prestigious best secondary school category.
Furness Academy also appears three times in the categories of best employee development programme, best marketing campaign and best secondary school.
Ulverston Victoria High School - the current holder of the best secondary school title - has three finalists too.
Geography teacher Tom Reader makes it to the shortlist of the best education profession newcomer category while Richard Butler, director of community involvement and head of performing arts, is in the best teaching professional section.
Staff in its engagement centre are in the running for the inclusion award.
In north Cumbria, Trinity School in Carlisle is celebrating two valued staff members making the shortlist.
They are senior pastoral tutor Tracy Studholme, who is in the running for best support staff, and PE curriculum leader Norman Foster, who taught at there for 38 years before his retirement in July.
Golden Apple Awards 2017
The 2017 Golden Apple Awards are brought to you by CN Group, which publishes a range of titles including The Cumberland News, News & Star, Times & Star, The Whitehaven News, and The Mail.
There are 20 categories to reflect and recognise excellence and achievement in a range of education, training and skills areas.
- Abacus Children's Day Nursery, Dalston; Muddy Boots Nursery, Newton Rigg, Penrith; Kathryn Young and Michelle Scott-McCullough, North Walney Primary School, Barrow.
- Arlecdon and Thornhill Primary Schools; Silloth Primary School; Seaton CE Junior School, Seaton, Workington.
- Furness Academy, Barrow; Richard Rose Central Academy, Carlisle; West Lakes Academy, Egremont.
- Carlisle College, Carlisle; Newton Rigg College, Penrith; Furness College, Barrow.
- Cumbria Learning & Improvement Collaborative, CCG; HIT Training, Penrith; The Outward Bound Trust, Penrith.
- Jackie Craik, Newtown Community Primary School, Carlisle; Tracy Studholme, Trinity School, Carlisle; Ken Brown, West Lakes Academy, Egremont.
- Shannon Atkinson, Derwent Vale Primary School, Great Clifton; Siobhan McGrady, Mayfield School, Whitehaven.
- Helen Condron, Mayfield School, Whitehaven; Jordan Gale, Fairfield Primary School, Cockermouth; Tom Reader, Ulverston Victoria High School, Ulverston.
- Richard Butler, Ulverston Victoria High School, Ulverston; Jess Corless, Ormsgill Nursery and Primary School; Barrow; Norman Foster, Trinity School, Carlisle.
- Wendy Figes, Arlecdon and Thornhill Primary Schools; Rachel Ingrams, Silloth Primary School, Silloth; Margaret Taylor, High Hesket CE Primary School; High Hesket.
- Eli Hughes, West Lakes Academy, Egremont; Lauren Robson, Carlisle College; Georgia Taylor, Energy Coast UTC, Lillyhall.
- Joe Hambley, Glaxosmithkline, Ulverston; Brandon Hartley, Iggesund Paperboard, Workington; Georgia Irving, Iggesund Paperboard, Workington.
- Cumbria Constabulary, Penrith; Brathay Apprentice Team, Glaxosmithkline, Ulverston; Lorraine Irving, Skills 4 U, Cleator Moor.
- James Gartland, Ennerdale & Kinniside CE School; Catherine Garton, Kirby Moor School, Brampton; Engagement Centre, Ulverston Victoria High School.
- Hannah Croskery, Dalton St Mary's CE Primary, Dalton-in-Furness; Gavin Hamilton and class 5 team, James Rennie School, Carlisle; North Lakes School, Penrith.
- Dr Stephen Singleton, Cumbria Learning and Improvement Collaborative, NHS; Kath Walker, Energus, Lillyhall; Furness Academy, Barrow.
- Energy Coast UTC, Lillyhall; Furness Academy, Barrow; Hunter Hall School, Penrith.
- apprenticeship recruitment team, Carlisle College; Morgan Sindall Bridge Project, Energy Coast UTC, Lillyhall; nucleargraduates, Energus, Lillyhall.
- to be announced on October 6.
- Emmy Sealey, Ravenscar Nursery and Holme Head House, Carlisle.