Cumbrian school warning after pupils targeted via SnapChat

by Kelly Pattison Education reporter

SOCIAL BOOKMARKS

Pupils at one of north Cumbria's largest secondary schools are being targeted on social media.

Chris McAree, headteacher
Chris McAree, headteacher

Parents are now being reminded of the dangers of the internet.

Pupils at William Howard School, Brampton, have been contacted via the Snapchat app, leading to them receiving inappropriate messages.

It prompted Domenic Volpe, deputy headteacher of the school, to write to all parents.

Mr Volpe said: "Over the last few days, a number of students have informed us that they have been messaged online and via Snapchat, by at least two individuals that have at first given the impression that they were students of a similar age and then very quickly have begun to pester and menace students online with inappropriate language and requests.

"This has happened via phone networks during school hours, and tablets and PCs outside of school."

He has encouraged parents to discuss e-safety at home with children and for pupils to continue to report any threats or unsuitable content to family members or teachers.

Headteacher Chris McAree said: "We've had incidents of pupils being asked to befriend people via the app who have then not turned out to be people of their own age and sending them inappropriate messages.

"We felt with Safer Internet Day last week that we wanted to make sure that parents are reminded to be vigilant."

Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 2:40PM
Comment on this article

Generate a new code
Comments not OK? Click here to let us know