£100,000 waiting room opened at Cumbrian railway station
Last updated at 14:31, Friday, 11 April 2014
A new manager has arrived at Penrith station – and opened a new £100,000 waiting room.
Michael Byrne, 35, said the new room was “a million times better” than the previous one, as it was brighter and more in-keeping with the Virgin brand.
Pupils from the town’s Beaconside School were on hand to help officially open the new-look waiting room on platform one, which has been revamped. It now features electronic glass doors and a new help desk contact point, which will be manned by station staff.
Mr Byrne, who also has responsibilities for Lancaster and Oxenholme stations, said: “I really like that we have tried to restore the old features of the room while bringing it up to date at the same time. I think, with the staff being more visible, this will help our customers when they need help and support and also make them feel more secure while using the station.”
He said staff wanted to involve the school as they were part of the future generation of Penrith’s community. The waiting room — improved thanks to funding released through the Department for Transport — has been named the Beacon Suite, so it was felt fitting that pupils from Beaconside Primary School be asked to help officiate.
As part of the station improvement plan, herb gardens will be reinstated towards the end of May, and students from the nearby Queen Elizabeth Grammar School plan to paint the subway with a mural which they will be designing.
First published at 14:09, Friday, 11 April 2014
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (4 comments)
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (39 comments)
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (7 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (4 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (29 comments)
- Man arrested after serious Carlisle car crash
- New department store for Carlisle's empty Hoopers building (25 comments)
- Carlisle club once sold for £2m fails to reach auction reserve
- Record deal for Carlisle singer's X Factor group Only The Young
- Story writes-off £1.1m loan to Carlisle Utd (27 comments)