New signing Gjokaj vital part of Carlisle Utd squad
Last updated at 12:10, Monday, 26 November 2012
New signing Valentin Gjokaj will prove a vital member of Carlisle United’s squad despite being left on the bench at Yeovil, boss Greg Abbott insisted.
The Derby defender was kept waiting for his debut as Abbott went with his experienced pair of Danny Livesey and Mike Edwards.
Gjokaj joined another young loan centre-half, Manchester United’s Sean McGinty, among United’s unused subs at Huish Park.
Abbott said he had made the right call in going with his older players – but insisted his new Swiss addition will be ready to step up when called upon.
“He [Gjokaj] is tough, aggressive and will give us decent cover,” Abbott said.
“Along with Sean we have got two 19-year-olds who are really hungry.
“He has fitted into the group well and we will see how he is this week.
“On Saturday I felt there was enough inexperience in the team and I felt it was right to stick with our two experienced campaigners at the back.”
The arrival of Gjokaj has given Abbott extra cover with Peter Murphy due for a hernia operation this week.
United have yet to confirm whether the new signing is eligible to play for them in the FA Cup.
Abbott is hoping to have Paul Thirlwell back soon, but Danny Cadamarteri and Lee Miller are still out.
- Yeovil manager Gary Johnson apologised to the club’s fans after United’s victory.
He said: “I can only apologise to the supporters that turned up because that was a great effort to turn up in this weather. Also to the directors as I said we said we had some good players here.
“That was nowhere good enough physically or mentally and we mustn’t shirk from that responsibility of telling the truth.”
First published at 12:03, Monday, 26 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Carlisle girl banned from lessons until she changes hair colour (203 comments)
- Last-day Carlisle Utd match alert over Bob Marley theme fans (52 comments)
- Carlisle billboard blunder 'funny' claims Labour candidate (68 comments)
- Carlisle city centre bandstand set to be replaced (34 comments)
- Park and ride plan to ease parking problems at Carlisle hospital (25 comments)