'New' name for Carlisle city centre pub after revamp
Last updated at 13:05, Tuesday, 19 February 2013
A pub in Carlisle city centre is to undergo a £150,000 investment that will see it relaunch with a fresh new look and its original name.
Pippins on Lowther Street, which is owned by the Spirit Pub Company, will close on March 4 for a refurbishment, reopening on March 13 as the Apple Tree.
Spirit aims to restore the listed building and return it to its former glory.
The refurbishment will give the pub a new look and feel both inside and out, including updating the decor, bringing in additional furniture and improving the menu.
General manager, Dionne Dillion, decided to recognise the pub’s history within the community by changing its name from Pippins to Apple Tree.
Dionne said: “The pub has always been known by the regulars as the Apple Tree and when we given the green light for the refurbishment we felt now would be the right time to take the pub back to where it started.
“It’s encouraging to see that while other pubs are being demolished around Carlisle, our guests are still committed to visiting their favourite drinking hole, keeping us going strong and worth investing in.”
The Spirit Pub Company owns and operates 791 managed pubs across the UK. The investment is part of Spirit’s goal to refurbish all in the next few years. More than £83m was spent on refurbishing the estate in the last financial year.
First published at 12:56, Tuesday, 19 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Heads lead by example, raising £1,030 conquering Scafell Pike
- Cumbrian farmers' concern over zero-tolerance enforcement of sheep tagging
- Radio 1’s Fearne Cotton becomes latest Carlisle United recruit
- Castle ruins survived to be preserved for Penrith
- Saucy Cumbrian young farmers calendar raises cash for cancer charity
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (133 comments)
- Conservative Stevenson retains Carlisle (104 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Stagecoach making changes to bus routes across Carlisle (34 comments)
- Action to tackle starling problem in Carlisle city centre (24 comments)