'New' name for Carlisle city centre pub after revamp
Last updated at 13:05, Tuesday, 19 February 2013
A pub in Carlisle city centre is to undergo a £150,000 investment that will see it relaunch with a fresh new look and its original name.
Pippins on Lowther Street, which is owned by the Spirit Pub Company, will close on March 4 for a refurbishment, reopening on March 13 as the Apple Tree.
Spirit aims to restore the listed building and return it to its former glory.
The refurbishment will give the pub a new look and feel both inside and out, including updating the decor, bringing in additional furniture and improving the menu.
General manager, Dionne Dillion, decided to recognise the pub’s history within the community by changing its name from Pippins to Apple Tree.
Dionne said: “The pub has always been known by the regulars as the Apple Tree and when we given the green light for the refurbishment we felt now would be the right time to take the pub back to where it started.
“It’s encouraging to see that while other pubs are being demolished around Carlisle, our guests are still committed to visiting their favourite drinking hole, keeping us going strong and worth investing in.”
The Spirit Pub Company owns and operates 791 managed pubs across the UK. The investment is part of Spirit’s goal to refurbish all in the next few years. More than £83m was spent on refurbishing the estate in the last financial year.
First published at 12:56, Tuesday, 19 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Royal Marine puts career on line after driving 'like an idiot'
- Cumbrian pensioner spent six weeks living in car in London in bid to recover life savings
- Carlisle's Swallow Hilltop Hotel to close
- Actor Tim’s heart in Silloth, no matter how far job takes him
- Cumbrian beauty spot churned up by quad bikes and 4x4s
- New Story Homes estate would leave us hemmed in, claim Carlisle residents
- Talks over new primary on site of axed Carlisle school (15 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (37 comments)
- New bridge set to be built between Currock and Denton Holme (27 comments)
- Windfall for Cumbria as four-year deal struck with Tour of Britain (25 comments)