New Balance advert filmed in west Cumbria hits TV screens
Last updated at 13:22, Tuesday, 10 April 2012
A hundred runners will stride into the limelight over the next month in a national advertising campaign.
New Balance filmed its first UK advert at its Flimby factory and around the streets of Maryport in January using runners from local clubs.
The 30-second advert was shown for the first time over the weekend on ITV, Sky and Channel 4 television.
It will be screened for a month to coincide with the 30th anniversary of the Flimby factory, which employs 220 people.
Liam Burns, European business development manager for New Balance, said: “The film company used runners from clubs across west Cumbria.
“They were not all serious runners, they are mixed ages and abilities. We filmed at Crummock Water, Buttemere and in the Borrowdale Valley.
“When we filmed the advert, we really did have four seasons in one day. There was sleet and snow when we filmed in Borrowdale.”
The advert shows a man passing runners coming in the opposite direction. He jogs from the fells past Siddick turbines to join a big queue for trainers at the Flimby factory.
He is handed a pair of orange 1080 trainers by staff member Eric Hogarth who has worked at the factory for decades.
Among the stars of the advert were teenagers Kimberley Hawkins and Oliver Lithgow, of Seaton Athletic Club. They filmed scenes for the advert at Honister Pass and the New Balance factory in Flimby.
Kimberley is a county champion in the 100m and long jump and top point scorer in the Northern Cumbrian League.
Oliver is a county champion in the 100m, 200m and 400m, a top point scorer in the Northern Cumbrian League and an under-17 county 400m record holder. Oliver said at the time: “I had a great day and enjoyed taking part in a new experience that I will never forget.”
The advert celebrates the 30th year of manufacturing in west Cumbria and the launch of its second generation of New Balance 1080 shoes.
First published at 11:24, Tuesday, 10 April 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Story writes-off £1.1m loan to Carlisle Utd (24 comments)
- Carlisle club once sold for £2m fails to reach auction reserve
- Police confirm body found during search was missing pensioner
- Edinburgh Woollen Mill boss loses fight to clear his name
- Carlisle pensioner charged with child and animal pornography offences
- Man arrested after serious Carlisle car crash
- New department store for Carlisle's empty Hoopers building (25 comments)
- Record deal for Carlisle singer's X Factor group Only The Young
- Carlisle Utd legend’s heartbreak at daughter’s mystery death
- What’s in store as Paris comes to Carlisle at old Hoopers' site