Man killed in north Cumbria road crash
Last updated at 15:21, Thursday, 29 March 2012
A man was killed in a crash on a main north Cumbrian road this morning.
The head-on smash, involving a Suzuki Swift car and a HGV, happened on the A596 at about 8.55am.
The car driver was pronounced dead at the scene. He is from the north Allerdale area.
The driver of the HGV, a 45-year-old man from Liverpool, was uninjured.
The A596 was temporarily closed from the Carlisle side and between Wigton and Thursby roundabout. It reopened at about 3pm.
Police, ambulance service and the air ambulance were called to the scene.
Collision investigators are trying to establish the circumstances surrounding the collision.
Anyone who saw the crash - or who has information that can help police - should call the West Cumbria Roads Policing Unit on 101.
The dead man has not been formally identified.
First published at 09:28, Thursday, 29 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- New owner for Carlisle's Stepping Stones Nursery
- Stagecoach cuts prices on bus journeys in Carlisle
- Two former north Cumbrian pubs to be sold at auction
- Couple reveal plans to restore village pub to its former glory
- Driver's anger at parking charge - after buying ticket on Carlisle car park (25 comments)