Man killed in north Cumbria road crash
Last updated at 15:21, Thursday, 29 March 2012
A man was killed in a crash on a main north Cumbrian road this morning.
The head-on smash, involving a Suzuki Swift car and a HGV, happened on the A596 at about 8.55am.
The car driver was pronounced dead at the scene. He is from the north Allerdale area.
The driver of the HGV, a 45-year-old man from Liverpool, was uninjured.
The A596 was temporarily closed from the Carlisle side and between Wigton and Thursby roundabout. It reopened at about 3pm.
Police, ambulance service and the air ambulance were called to the scene.
Collision investigators are trying to establish the circumstances surrounding the collision.
Anyone who saw the crash - or who has information that can help police - should call the West Cumbria Roads Policing Unit on 101.
The dead man has not been formally identified.
First published at 09:28, Thursday, 29 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Watch out for the angels hanging around streets
- With 1995 fresh in our minds, Carlisle United are going back to Wembley
- A Bishop’s home does not have to be his castle
- Coroner voices concerns over Carlisle psychiatric unit after suicides
- ‘It is quite exciting. Who knows where we will be in six months’ time, but if nothing else it is something we can say we tried’
- Yobs slaughter animals in sick allotment attack (35 comments)
- Parking fees will kill my business, says Carlisle gym owner (60 comments)
- Talkin Tarn hotel for sale - again (3 comments)
- Traffic concerns delay decision on new Carlisle supermarket (26 comments)
- 'Good' Carlisle primary school in special measures (35 comments)