Man killed in north Cumbria road crash
Last updated at 15:21, Thursday, 29 March 2012
A man was killed in a crash on a main north Cumbrian road this morning.
The head-on smash, involving a Suzuki Swift car and a HGV, happened on the A596 at about 8.55am.
The car driver was pronounced dead at the scene. He is from the north Allerdale area.
The driver of the HGV, a 45-year-old man from Liverpool, was uninjured.
The A596 was temporarily closed from the Carlisle side and between Wigton and Thursby roundabout. It reopened at about 3pm.
Police, ambulance service and the air ambulance were called to the scene.
Collision investigators are trying to establish the circumstances surrounding the collision.
Anyone who saw the crash - or who has information that can help police - should call the West Cumbria Roads Policing Unit on 101.
The dead man has not been formally identified.
First published at 09:28, Thursday, 29 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Warning as 1,800 council jobs hang in the balance (83 comments)
- 40 new jobs on cards as KFC plans Carlisle drive-through (4 comments)
- 'Parking charges will ruin a lot of people’s livelihoods,’ says Carlisle trader (38 comments)
- Work to start 'within weeks' on new supermarket in Carlisle (22 comments)
- Anger over plan to charge £20 to park outside your home in Cumbria (69 comments)