Man dies in Carlisle house fire
Last updated at 12:44, Tuesday, 12 February 2013
A man has died in a house fire in Carlisle.
Police confirmed the man, who was aged 66, died following a blaze in Linton Street, near London Road, at around 3am.
Firefighters had got the man out of the house and he was treated by paramedics but crews said he died at the scene.
An investigation is underway but both police and the fire service said early indications suggested there were no suspicious circumstances.
Fire crews were called to the house just before 3am.
A fire service spokesman said: “When they arrived crews were faced with a well developed fire in the living room of the terrace property.”
Firefighters wearing breathing equipment went in to get the man out.
Carlisle West station manager Craig Drinkald said they were alerted by neighbours who heard a smoke alarm sounding.
Three fire crews, two from Carlisle and one from Longtown, attended and were confronted by “an extensive fire”.
A police spokesman said: “Officers are now working to formally identify the man and inform his immediate family.
“A full investigation into the cause of the fire is underway by fire investigators and detectives. However, early indications suggest that there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death.
“The coroner will be informed.”
First published at 08:26, Tuesday, 12 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Story Homes pledges to fund village school if new Carlisle estate approved (4 comments)
- Carlisle man harassed ex-partner within days of leaving prison
- Carlisle GP backs calls to legalise hard drugs (1 comment)
- Carlisle man refused benefits - for the sake of £3 NI shortfall
- How long until Cumbria gets 4G or even decent 3G coverage?
- Warning as 1,800 council jobs hang in the balance (83 comments)
- 40 new jobs on cards as KFC plans Carlisle drive-through (4 comments)
- 'Parking charges will ruin a lot of people’s livelihoods,’ says Carlisle trader (38 comments)
- Work to start 'within weeks' on new supermarket in Carlisle (22 comments)
- Anger over plan to charge £20 to park outside your home in Cumbria (69 comments)