Main road near Carlisle closed after bus catches fire
Last updated at 11:25, Thursday, 08 November 2012
Fire severely damaged a Stagecoach bus on the A7 between Blackford and Harker, near Carlisle.
A passenger on the 7.10pm Dumfries-Carlisle service noticed smoke coming from the rear of the vehicle and alerted the driver who stopped and evacuated the bus.
Nobody was injured but the fire took hold.
Firefighters say the back of bus was destroyed. Two fire appliances from Carlisle attended the blaze, which closed the road.
Melted plastic had to be cleared from the carriageway. The A7 re-opened just after 10pm.
Stagecoach sent another vehicle to rescue the stranded passengers.
A spokesman said: “There was an incident on one of our buses operating on Service 79 yesterday evening. An investigation has started to determine the cause of this incident.
"Our driver promptly evacuated the vehicle, there were no injuries sustained by any party. We would like to reassure our customers that such incidents are extremely rare and that our investigation into the cause will be thorough and that all such matters are reported.”
First published at 11:24, Thursday, 08 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Liverpool v Carlisle Utd cup tie ticket details
- New Marks & Spencer store in Carlisle will create 55 jobs (13 comments)
- Council hands out £3,000 in parking fines in one street in four months (38 comments)
- Carlisle police appeal after youth seen running away from major blaze
- Carlisle residents too scared to walk down road without footpath (14 comments)
- Cumbria Pride crisis as Carlisle LGBT centre to close (50 comments)
- From Carlisle airport to New York for just £200? (22 comments)
- £6m primary school planned for Carlisle (18 comments)
- German firm unveils plans for huge solar park near Carlisle (4 comments)
- Residents want action over Silloth’s ‘nauseating’ pong (9 comments)
- Call for action after crash at accident 'blackspot' near Carlisle (29 comments)
- Carlisle's Labour Party backs Jeremy Corbyn leadership bid (32 comments)