Jail for Carlisle men who burgled home of deaf pensioner
Published at 15:54, Wednesday, 07 November 2012
A father and son have been jailed for burgling the home of a 77-year-old deaf woman.
Bryan Dance, 49, originally from Carlisle but now of Sherwood Avenue, Nottingham and Steven Dance, 25, from Borland Avenue, Botcherby, Carlisle, were sentenced today at Carlisle Crown Court.
Dance senior, who pleaded not guilty, was sentenced to six years. His son, who admitted the charge, received four and a half years.
Speaking after the hearing, Detective Constable Chris Hind said it had been an "appalling crime against a vulnerable, elderly lady" and the sentences reflected the "dreadful nature" of the crime.
The court heard the incident took place on May 22 this year.
The victim - deaf from birth and limited in her communication skills - answered her door to the men, who pointed to a bag full of cloths, rubber gloves and batteries they were selling.
They followed her into the living room, she made them a cup of tea and bought £20 worth of items.
The Dances asked for a second drink and while the woman was out of the room, they searched her home and fled, taking cash and the items she had bought. In total, they stole £150.
They were in the woman's home for about 10 minutes.
Police were alerted to the incident by an employee of the charity Deaf Vision.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Couple reveal plans to restore village pub to its former glory
- No special plans to deal with Hartlepool's Paynter, says Carlisle Utd boss
- Former Appleby bank turned into deli and butchers
- Family's appeal for help to adapt house for disabled daughter
- £2.25m revamp of Carlisle industrial estate to start
- From Carlisle airport to New York for just £200? (23 comments)
- Farmfoods given consent for supermarket at Carlisle's Shaddongate (23 comments)
- Cumbria Pride crisis as Carlisle LGBT centre to close (52 comments)
- £6m primary school planned for Carlisle (18 comments)
- German firm unveils plans for huge solar park near Carlisle (4 comments)
- Residents want action over Silloth’s ‘nauseating’ pong (9 comments)
- Call for action after crash at accident 'blackspot' near Carlisle (29 comments)
- Carlisle's Labour Party backs Jeremy Corbyn leadership bid (32 comments)