Wednesday, 02 September 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Green Bank glide in to County Cup final

Green Bank 2 Harraby Catholic 0: Twice previous winners Green Bank reached the County Cup final with a comfortable victory over their Premier Division rivals Harraby Catholic in a tie decided by two goals in the final 15 minutes.

Sunday football photo
Green Bank's Kyle Armstrong

The losers faced an uphill battle as Lee Doswell was shown the red card after bringing Stuart Bell down from behind as he raced clear for goal with 15 minutes on the clock.

Green Bank, who won the cup in 2009 and 2010, had plenty of possession with the extra man but struggled to create openings against some resolute defending in a scrappy first half.

Green Bank kept up the pressure after the break, Dale Armstrong ending a fine run with a volley just past the post.

Mark Temple, who was always a threat, saw his vicious centre go right across the goal-mouth and miss the in-rushing Mark Shiel’s outstretched foot by inches.

Then Stuart Bell’s corner was headed narrowly wide by Tom Prince.

Keeper Martin Purdie came to Harraby’s rescue in the 71st minute, just managing to tip at full stretch onto the bar Armstrong’s long-range cracker.

The deadlock was finally broken four minutes later when Purdie could only parry Temple’s strong drive from 15 yards into the path of Shiel who bundled the ball over the line from close in.

With five minutes left, it was all over for Harraby as Prince fired a great shot into the top corner from 40 yards and was booked for his enthusiastic celebration.

Arroyo stormed into the fourth round of the League Cup with a 3-0 victory over DHCC who were indebted to their keeper Jack Twentyman for some excellent saves during a goalless first half.

Aaron Roberts lobbed the keeper to put Arroyo in front, then added a second with a fine solo effort.

He completed his hat-trick near the end with the help of a deflection.

St Nicholas Arms also progressed at the expense of Moorhouse 2-1.

Parkland kept their Carlisle City Sunday League second division championship hopes alive with a comfortable 5-1 success at Walkabout.

Simon Tucker (2), James Tose, Ashley Combe and Ben Greenslade made up their tally while Robert Wharmby replied.

Beehive lost 2-1 at home to Royal Scot who found the net through Dan Boak and Shaun McKnight.

Simon Phillips scored for the losers.

After their shock League Cup defeat last weekend, Upperby Park bounced back to defeat Longtown 5-0.

Veteran Les Armstrong was solid and firm in their defence and Tony Threlkeld and Dan Black put them 2-0 up at the halfway stage.

Despite being denied by keeper Robert Bauld on several occasions Jordie Cowley, Black and the industrious Mark Graham completed the scoring.

Joiners Arms were 3-1 too good for St Aidans in a Third Division clash.

Kyle McClean (2) and Gordon Setchell did the damage while St Aidans hit back through Steven Wiles.

UMI Exiles were 5-1 winners at Shoulder of Mutton.

Dave Cricket and Tim Jackson claimed two apiece, helped by Paul Parker. Dan Baldwin countered.

In the Fourth Division Thompsons FC completed a run of five successive wins after sinking Border Reiver 2-1 with strikes by Luke Dryden and Nick Sanderson. Chris James replied.

Carlisle Spartans went down 4-0 at Dalston Old Boys whose marksmen were John Steel (2), Dan Walker and Darren Ballantyne.

BSW Timber raced into a 4-0 advantage against Pirelli with goals by Daniel Jeffrey (2), David Baker and an 18-yard corker by Richard Stewart.

They were rocked when Pirelli pulled it back to 4-4 with the help of two penalties and defensive errors but recovered to win 6-4 with efforts by Baker and Jeffrey to complete his hat-trick.

Jack Patterson (3) and Jordan Davies were on target for Pirelli.



Should organ donation opt-in be automatic?



Show Result

Hot jobs
Search for: