Go-ahead given for wind turbine near Carlisle Racecourse
Last updated at 13:00, Monday, 28 January 2013
Permission for a 148ft-high wind turbine close to Carlisle Racecourse has been granted by city councillors.
TGC Renewables finally secured permission on Friday after its planning application was twice deferred by the council’s development control committee.
Councillors were to have voted on the scheme at Peastree Farm, north west of Durdar,, in November.
But they decided to visit the site first. They were close to refusing permission last month only to delay a decision.
And on Friday they approved it after planning officer Shona Taylor reassured them that the proposed turbine would be instead of a turbine at Peastree approved last year. There was no intention to build two.
The council received three objections, arguing the turbine is too large for a residential area and that low-frequency noise from the blades would disturb neighbours.
Not all councillors supported the decision to approve it.
Conservative Barry Earp said: “I’m not against wind turbines in the right place and of the right size. This one is just too big.”
First published at 12:56, Monday, 28 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Tribute to 'brave' Cumbrian parents whose baby died soon after birth
- Advertising campaign to attract new students to Cumbria university
- School reunion raises money for Carlisle meningitis victim
- Civic centre demolished in master plan for flood zone
- I was 'stitched up' on Channel 4 Come Dine With Me show, claims Carlisle man
- Carlisle auctioneer to present BBC's Bargain Hunt
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (14 comments)
- 'Knighton' in Twitter claims over Carlisle Utd (11 comments)
- Carlisle man reached 110mph on 19-mile police chase
- Tories choose their Workington candidate for General Election (15 comments)
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (8 comments)
- Cumbrian bakery lands huge cake deal with Costa Coffee chain (11 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (5 comments)
- Carlisle artist gets job to design AC/DC album motif on guitarist's coffin (2 comments)
- Carlisle Utd on the brink of 'exciting' new investment (26 comments)