Former Brunton Babe Paul Boertien retires from football
Last updated at 08:07, Friday, 16 December 2011
Former Carlisle United favourite Paul Boertien has called time on his injury-plagued career.
The left-back, who came through the youth ranks at Carlisle before starring for Derby County, yesterday announced his retirement.
Boertien, 32, has been with League Two outfit Burton Albion since 2009 but has admitted defeat in his battle to regain fitness.
Burton manager Paul Peschisolido said: “Paul has been an absolutely fantastic professional and he is a fantastic person as well.
"He was my first signing as a manager and has given great service to Burton Albion since he joined. He has had a superb career and it is a shame that injury has limited his availability to us this season.”
The Haltwhistle-born player made 268 career appearances, including 21 as a teenager for Carlisle, where he was known as one of the ‘Brunton Babes’ along with the likes of Matt Jansen and Rory Delap before he was snapped up by Derby in 1999 in a £250,000 deal. He also had a spell with Walsall.
United have sold nearly 2,500 tickets for the Boxing Day trip to Preston.
The Blues are reminding fans that the originally advertised ticket price of £5 for 16-20s and students was incorrect, and should be £10. Preston will honour any tickets sold at the original £5 rate but now prices will revert to £10. Any complaints or queries to email@example.com.
First published at 08:01, Friday, 16 December 2011
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Couple reveal plans to restore village pub to its former glory
- No special plans to deal with Hartlepool's Paynter, says Carlisle Utd boss
- Former Appleby bank turned into deli and butchers
- Family's appeal for help to adapt house for disabled daughter
- £2.25m revamp of Carlisle industrial estate to start
- From Carlisle airport to New York for just £200? (23 comments)
- Farmfoods given consent for supermarket at Carlisle's Shaddongate (23 comments)
- Cumbria Pride crisis as Carlisle LGBT centre to close (52 comments)
- £6m primary school planned for Carlisle (18 comments)
- German firm unveils plans for huge solar park near Carlisle (4 comments)
- Residents want action over Silloth’s ‘nauseating’ pong (9 comments)
- Call for action after crash at accident 'blackspot' near Carlisle (29 comments)
- Carlisle's Labour Party backs Jeremy Corbyn leadership bid (32 comments)