Former Brunton Babe Paul Boertien retires from football
Last updated at 08:07, Friday, 16 December 2011
Former Carlisle United favourite Paul Boertien has called time on his injury-plagued career.
The left-back, who came through the youth ranks at Carlisle before starring for Derby County, yesterday announced his retirement.
Boertien, 32, has been with League Two outfit Burton Albion since 2009 but has admitted defeat in his battle to regain fitness.
Burton manager Paul Peschisolido said: “Paul has been an absolutely fantastic professional and he is a fantastic person as well.
"He was my first signing as a manager and has given great service to Burton Albion since he joined. He has had a superb career and it is a shame that injury has limited his availability to us this season.”
The Haltwhistle-born player made 268 career appearances, including 21 as a teenager for Carlisle, where he was known as one of the ‘Brunton Babes’ along with the likes of Matt Jansen and Rory Delap before he was snapped up by Derby in 1999 in a £250,000 deal. He also had a spell with Walsall.
United have sold nearly 2,500 tickets for the Boxing Day trip to Preston.
The Blues are reminding fans that the originally advertised ticket price of £5 for 16-20s and students was incorrect, and should be £10. Preston will honour any tickets sold at the original £5 rate but now prices will revert to £10. Any complaints or queries to email@example.com.
First published at 08:01, Friday, 16 December 2011
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Carlisle auctioneer to present BBC's Bargain Hunt
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (14 comments)
- Carlisle shop for sale with warning not to tell staff (18 comments)
- Dozens of operations cancelled at Carlisle hospital (14 comments)
- 'Knighton' in Twitter claims over Carlisle Utd (12 comments)
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (8 comments)
- Cumbrian bakery lands huge cake deal with Costa Coffee chain (11 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (5 comments)
- Carlisle artist gets job to design AC/DC album motif on guitarist's coffin (2 comments)
- Carlisle Utd on the brink of 'exciting' new investment (26 comments)