Fire crews tackle blaze at Carlisle garden centre
Last updated at 14:27, Friday, 18 January 2013
A north Cumbrian garden centre was evacuated when a fire broke out this morning.
The incident happened at Houghton Hall Garden Centre in Carlisle, just after 11.30am today.
The fire was on part of the building’s exterior.
Firefighter Mike Clusker said that, despite its small size, it was a difficult fire to put out. It was in a corrugated part of the outside wall, which is foam filled.
However, crews managed to extinguish it.
Two firefighters were sent into the building to remove parts of the ceiling to check for further signs of the blaze. Crews then used a fan to clear smoke from the interior.
The centre was open when the fire started but smoke alarms alerted staff to the blaze and the building was evacuated.
First published at 13:43, Friday, 18 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Carlisle's Civic Centre could be knocked down (77 comments)
- The big interview: Carlisle United’s supporters’ trust (17 comments)
- Go-ahead for 825 new homes at Morton in Carlisle (4 comments)
- Primark targets site for Carlisle city centre store (85 comments)
- Unitary authority for Cumbria plan back on table (17 comments)