X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Monday, 20 October 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Fire crews tackle blaze at Carlisle garden centre

A north Cumbrian garden centre was evacuated when a fire broke out this morning.

The incident happened at Houghton Hall Garden Centre in Carlisle, just after 11.30am today.

The fire was on part of the building’s exterior.

Firefighter Mike Clusker said that, despite its small size, it was a difficult fire to put out. It was in a corrugated part of the outside wall, which is foam filled.

However, crews managed to extinguish it.

Two firefighters were sent into the building to remove parts of the ceiling to check for further signs of the blaze. Crews then used a fan to clear smoke from the interior.

The centre was open when the fire started but smoke alarms alerted staff to the blaze and the building was evacuated.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

Vote

Do we take enough pride in our parks?

Yes

No

Show Result

Hot jobs
Search for: