Fifth place finish in Kenya for Cumbria golf ace Gary Lockerbie
Last updated at 12:24, Monday, 02 April 2012
Cumbrian golf star Gary Lockerbie threw away the chance of victory in the Barclays Kenya Open after a disappointing final round saw him finish tied fifth in Nairobi.
Lockerbie, joint overnight leader with Denmark’s Lasse Jensen, paid the price on his final round when he had a double bogey five at the second hole.
He bounced back with a birdie at the third to remain firmly in contention, but dropped further shots at the 11th and 18th.
The Penrith golfer finished with a closing round of 72 on the back of two rounds of 69 and a 67 in the round to sit jointly at the top of the leaderboard.
England’s Seve Benson claimed the third Challenge Tour title of his career after he saw off Jensen in a play-off.
Benson birdied the 18th in regulation play to tie with Jensen on ten under par at and he did the same again at the first extra hole while Jensen could only manage a bogey.
First published at 11:29, Monday, 02 April 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Carlisle girl banned from lessons until she changes hair colour (203 comments)
- Last-day Carlisle Utd match alert over Bob Marley theme fans (52 comments)
- Carlisle billboard blunder 'funny' claims Labour candidate (68 comments)
- Carlisle city centre bandstand set to be replaced (34 comments)
- Park and ride plan to ease parking problems at Carlisle hospital (25 comments)