England juniors call-up for Wigton runner
Last updated at 13:09, Tuesday, 10 January 2012
Wigton athlete Abbie Hetherington’s scorching start to the season has been rewarded with a call-up to the England Under-20 junior women’s team for Sunday’s McCain Cross Challenge in Cardiff.
The 16-year-old’s selection comes on the back of eight wins in nine outings this winter, and she will not lack faith going in to her big test.
She will travel to South Wales on Friday to join up with England team-mates in preparation for the race where she will face teams from Scotland,Wales and Ireland.
“I’ve represented England and Great Britain at Under-17 level, but to be selected to be part of the Under-20 team will be a big step up,” said the Nelson Thomlinson School pupil.
“Some of the other girls are full-time university athletes, but I’m going in to Sunday’s race full of confidence.
“I’ve been training and racing really well this season. I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.”
Abbie, who is still in her first year in the Under-17 age group, is set for a busy few months with major events lined up including the North of England championships at Leeds, the English School finals in Devon, and the national champs in London.
First published at 11:30, Tuesday, 10 January 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Parking ban on staff at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (103 comments)
- We ARE talking to a billionaire say Carlisle Utd owners (23 comments)
- The Cumberland Show 2015: In pictures (2 comments)
- Ten questions Carlisle Utd supporters want answered (59 comments)
- Tributes flood in for murdered Carlisle schoolboy Jordan Watson (50 comments)