Driver arrested after crash closes main road in north Cumbria
Last updated at 12:42, Friday, 11 January 2013
A lorry driver has been arrested following a five-vehicle crash which closed part of the main A66 this morning.
The road was closed between Appleby and Brough, near to Warcop, while emergency services dealt with what police described as a serious collision.
The smash occurred at roadworks at Sandford, near Appleby, at about 7.20am.
It involved a car transporter, a silver Fiat Doblo car, a white Mercedes Sprinter van, a red Vauxhall Insignia car and a Volvo articulated wagon.
Police say the Volvo, which was travelling east, collided with the side of the transporter, which was travelling west, before colliding with the rear of the Fiat, Mercedes and Vauxhall.
The male driver of the Fiat received serious injuries and was taken to the Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle.
The Volvo driver, a Polish man aged 49, was arrested at the scene on suspicion of dangerous driving and taken to Carlisle police station.
Police, fire and ambulance services and highways officials were all called to the incident.
The road was closed for about four hours while recovery and collision investigation work took place.
Local traffic was diverted via minor roads and large vehicles were urged to take alternative routes due to weight restrictions on the A685 at Kirkby Stephen.
First published at 09:04, Friday, 11 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Carlisle auctioneer to present BBC's Bargain Hunt
- Carlisle shop for sale with warning not to tell staff (18 comments)
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (14 comments)
- Dozens of operations cancelled at Carlisle hospital (15 comments)
- Dog suffers horrific injuries in attack on Carlisle street (14 comments)
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (8 comments)
- Cumbrian bakery lands huge cake deal with Costa Coffee chain (11 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (5 comments)
- Carlisle artist gets job to design AC/DC album motif on guitarist's coffin (2 comments)
- Carlisle Utd on the brink of 'exciting' new investment (26 comments)