Deadline day: All quiet in and out at Carlisle Utd
Last updated at 15:57, Thursday, 31 January 2013
Carlisle United were not expected to join today’s frenzy of last-minute deadline-day transfer dealing.
This morning, United had reported no imminent activity in either direction at Brunton Park, other than this morning’s agreement to cancel the contract of Italian defender Alessio Bugno.
Manager Greg Abbott, who is monitoring trialists, has said that he would only be able to strengthen his squad if players first leave the club.
But with the 11pm deadline looming there have yet to be any offers for the Blues’ top players, including heavily-scouted teens Brad Potts and Dave Symington, and star striker Lee Miller.
Wolves manager Dean Saunders, an admirer of Potts and Symington, could be involved in plenty of transfer activity after admitting he has received bids for some players.
“We’ve had phone calls about four or five players, and from Premier League clubs as well. If we get a big enough bid, every single player has a price,” said Saunders, who watched the Carlisle kids in the recent victory against Coventry.
"At the moment, I’m not 100 per cent sure what our team is going to be at Leicester [tonight]. But we’re not going to leave ourselves open. We’ll get to a point where we’ll have to say ‘no’ to any offers soon. We’re still not safe in the league.”
- Former United striker Danny Graham, meanwhile, has moved from Swansea to Sunderland for £5m on a three-and-a-half-year deal.
- Ex-Blues favourite Rory Delap has joined Championship strugglers Barnsley on loan until the end of the season. The Stoke City midfield veteran, 36, said: "I need to be playing regularly and I'm looking forward to the challenge." Cumbrian Delap could make his debut for David Flitcroft's side at Blackpool on Saturday.
First published at 12:00, Thursday, 31 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Man arrested after serious Carlisle car crash
- New department store for Carlisle's empty Hoopers building (26 comments)
- Carlisle club once sold for £2m fails to reach auction reserve
- Record deal for Carlisle singer's X Factor group Only The Young
- Story writes-off £1.1m loan to Carlisle Utd (32 comments)