Cumbrian teen jumps into UK junior rankings
Last updated at 17:30, Thursday, 13 May 2010
Emily Cummings leapt in to the UK junior rankings in both high jump and long jump at the county championships in Carlisle.
The Seaton AC teenager, from Whitehaven, landed gold in both events and qualified for the English Schools championship in Birmingham in July.
The Under-15, who trains three nights a week at Cumbria Academy of Sport, took the high jump, her main event, when clearing 1.5m and went on to leap 1.63m, which saw her ranked second in the north West and sixth in the UK.
She opened with 4.72m in the long jump and went on to leap 5.06m to win the event and again qualify her for the English Schools with a sixth-place UK ranking.
Capping a tiring day, she went on to finish second in the 100m, and coach Stephen Hughes has not ruled out taking on a multi-discipline challenge with the versatile teenager.
Seaton coach Hughes said: “Athletes strive all-year round to win medals and county champs and hopefully achieve the English Schools championship standards, but to achieve two in the same day was remarkable, stunning and very well-deserved.”
“I’ve never known this happen before in all my years of coaching. Emily’s improvement has been great. Last year she won the same title with a jump of 1.45m – this year that was her opening height and personally I think she can start going even higher.”Her next target is the Northern Outdoor championships in late May at Leigh Sports Village.
First published at 11:32, Thursday, 13 May 2010
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Cumbrian man's stunning shed shortlisted in national competition
- Brampton councillors to discuss ‘urban park’ concerns with Talkin Tarn team
- ‘Extend A66 upgrade to avoid more carnage’
- Carlisle Utd ace Kyle Dempsey reveals Premier League ambitions
- Carlisle Utd trust not told identity of 'billionaire' investor
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (133 comments)
- Conservative Stevenson retains Carlisle (104 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Stagecoach making changes to bus routes across Carlisle (34 comments)
- Action to tackle starling problem in Carlisle city centre (24 comments)