Cumbrian teen athlete breaks English record to win national gold
Last updated at 13:47, Thursday, 01 March 2012
A Carlisle teenager broke an eight-year English record – to strike national gold on her indoor debut.
Chelsea Nugent, 13, of Baldwinholme, left a string of talented rivals toiling in the Under-15 final of the 800 metres in the Aviva English Age Group Indoor Championships at the NIA Birmingham.
She won in 2:12.69 minutes, almost a staggering four seconds ahead of Ella Eadon, of York, in second place.
The Carlisle Aspatria starlet’s personal best outdoors of 2:16 minutes was broken in winning her heat, and she then smashed her new mark by over two seconds to run away with the final.
“She went for gold and left them,” said mum Amanda. “It was beyond my wildest dreams. Indoors is supposed to be slower than outdoors. We had never done indoors before as she goes from track to cross-country and then back to track. But we thought we’d give it a go.”
Chelsea usually takes athletics in her stride though has twice watched her triumph in the final, after it was taped by her mum. And Amanda believes the youngster is perhaps starting to realise the scale of her achievement.
“She’s not the type of person who bothers,” Amanda explained. “I hope it has sunk in how good it is.”
Chelsea, a pupil at Nelson Thomlinson School, has the track season ahead of her but will return to the indoor scene this weekend for the Scottish Championships in Glasgow’s Kelvin Hall, where she will be up against Under-16s.
“We’ll keep our fingers crossed that she does well,” Amanda said.
First published at 11:27, Thursday, 01 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Carlisle auctioneer to present BBC's Bargain Hunt
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (14 comments)
- Carlisle man reached 110mph on 19-mile police chase
- 'Knighton' in Twitter claims over Carlisle Utd (7 comments)
- Tories choose their Workington candidate for General Election (15 comments)
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (8 comments)
- Cumbrian bakery lands huge cake deal with Costa Coffee chain (11 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (5 comments)
- Carlisle artist gets job to design AC/DC album motif on guitarist's coffin (2 comments)
- Carlisle Utd on the brink of 'exciting' new investment (26 comments)