Cumbrian takeaway named best kebab shop in Britain
Last updated at 12:29, Thursday, 24 January 2013
A Wigton takeaway has been crowned the best in the country after picking up the ‘Best Kebab Shop of the Year 2013’ award.
The Alternative Takeaway in High Street, Wigton, beat off competition from 86 nominees to be named the best in the business at the inaugural British Kebab Awards.
Owner Matthew Morgan said: “It’s really good to get an award, I couldn’t believe it. I was happy enough to get a nomination because we’re a small town and often get overlooked.”
The takeaway was nominated by the town’s MP, Rory Stewart.
Mr Stewart said: “I very much enjoyed a recent visit to Alternative Takeaway and found the kebabs of excellent quality. It’s incredibly important to show that businesses in small, rural market towns are able to compete on a national level.”
First published at 12:25, Thursday, 24 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Royal Marine puts career on line after driving 'like an idiot'
- Cumbrian pensioner spent six weeks living in car in London in bid to recover life savings
- Carlisle's Swallow Hilltop Hotel to close
- Archbishop of Canterbury licenses Haughey wedding in the Cathedral
- Actor Tim’s heart in Silloth, no matter how far job takes him
- New Story Homes estate would leave us hemmed in, claim Carlisle residents
- Talks over new primary on site of axed Carlisle school (15 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (37 comments)
- New bridge set to be built between Currock and Denton Holme (27 comments)
- Windfall for Cumbria as four-year deal struck with Tour of Britain (25 comments)