Cumbrian takeaway named best kebab shop in Britain
Last updated at 12:29, Thursday, 24 January 2013
A Wigton takeaway has been crowned the best in the country after picking up the ‘Best Kebab Shop of the Year 2013’ award.
The Alternative Takeaway in High Street, Wigton, beat off competition from 86 nominees to be named the best in the business at the inaugural British Kebab Awards.
Owner Matthew Morgan said: “It’s really good to get an award, I couldn’t believe it. I was happy enough to get a nomination because we’re a small town and often get overlooked.”
The takeaway was nominated by the town’s MP, Rory Stewart.
Mr Stewart said: “I very much enjoyed a recent visit to Alternative Takeaway and found the kebabs of excellent quality. It’s incredibly important to show that businesses in small, rural market towns are able to compete on a national level.”
First published at 12:25, Thursday, 24 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- £6m primary school planned for Carlisle (18 comments)
- German firm unveils plans for huge solar park near Carlisle (4 comments)
- Residents want action over Silloth’s ‘nauseating’ pong (9 comments)
- Call for action after crash at accident 'blackspot' near Carlisle (29 comments)
- Carlisle's Labour Party backs Jeremy Corbyn leadership bid (32 comments)