Cumbrian family escape from blazing bungalow
Last updated at 12:10, Monday, 20 February 2012
A Cumbrian family who escaped from their burning bungalow in the early today owe their lives to a smoke alarm.
The main road through Bolton Low Houses, south of Wigton, was closed this morning as 26 firefighters tackled the blaze, which tore through the roof causing severe damage to the building.
Two fire crews from Carlisle were joined by teams from Wigton and Aspatria, as well as a team from Dumfries and Galloway who manned an aerial ladder platform.
Fire Service group manager Keith Opie said flames were already pouring through the bungalow’s roof when firefighters arrived.
But the family who live in the bungalow had already managed to get out. He said the owner had heard a loud bang followed by the sound of smoke alarms going off at around 6am.
“We believe that the cause of this fire was probably an electrical fault but we have yet to get inside the bungalow and verify that,” said Mr Opie. “When we arrived, it was a well developed fire and had spread to the roof.”
He said the crews had combined fighting the fire with defensive measures to stop the blaze spreading to neighbouring properties, a detached house on one side and a row of terraced properties on the other.
Mr Opie added: “The most important thing to say here is that they had a smoke alarm fitted and that raised the alarm and allowed the family to escape.
“Anybody who does not have a smoke alarm in their property should contact the fire service so they can arrange a free home visit and get an alarm fitted.”
The fire crews were continuing to damp down at the property as the News & Star went to press.
To arrange a free home visit from Cumbria Fire and Rescue Servicecall freephone 0800 358 4777.
First published at 11:26, Monday, 20 February 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk