Cumbria is star of Taste festival
Last updated at 14:55, Friday, 04 October 2013
Aldo Zilli hailed Cumbria as a great chef’s larder while Paul Rankin enjoyed himself so much that he might take up residence.
Fans followed their every word with the pair among the star attractions who helped cook up a culinary success story for the county.
More than 30,000 people enjoyed the Taste Cumbria festival, in Cockermouth, which boasted everything from Cumbria’s celebrated Michelin-starred chef Simon Rogan to the launch of a new whisky distilled in the county.
And Zilli told the crowds as he cooked: “The food up here is amazing.
“The vegetables, meat and fish – there is nothing you can’t find.”
Rankin wandered through the stalls in the town centre, adding: “I like Cockermouth.
“I love the river. I am a big fan of rivers and have always wanted to live by one.
“I might take up permanent residence at the Trout Hotel.
“Cumbria also has one of Britain’s greatest chefs in Simon Rogan.”
Rogan’s pop-up restaurant at the Lakeland Livestock Centre was full to capacity as he brought a taste of his award-winning L’Enclume restaurant to Cockermouth last weekend
Brigham’s Peter Sidwell, executive chef at Peter Sidwell@Rheged and judge on ITV show Britain’s Best Bakery, was another who performed cookery demonstrations. He said: “We are blessed with some wonderful ingredients. It’s just a great county to cook in.”
The showcase of the county’s best foods and talents in the kitchen was run in association with Cumbria Life magazines, part of The Cumberland News’s parent company, CN Group.
Marie Whitehead, of cnevents which organised Taste Cumbria, said: “It was just fantastic.”
First published at 14:22, Friday, 04 October 2013
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
- Story writes-off £1.1m loan to Carlisle Utd (24 comments)
- Carlisle club once sold for £2m fails to reach auction reserve
- Police confirm body found during search was missing pensioner
- Edinburgh Woollen Mill boss loses fight to clear his name
- Carlisle pensioner charged with child and animal pornography offences
- Man arrested after serious Carlisle car crash
- New department store for Carlisle's empty Hoopers building (25 comments)
- Record deal for Carlisle singer's X Factor group Only The Young
- Carlisle Utd legend’s heartbreak at daughter’s mystery death
- What’s in store as Paris comes to Carlisle at old Hoopers' site