Coronation Street gets facelift from Cumbrian roofing firm
Last updated at 15:00, Wednesday, 16 January 2013
Iconic TV soap opera Coronation Street is being given a big make-over by a Cumbrian firm.
KL Venning Slaters Ltd, based near Orton, today started re-roofing properties along the famous cobbled street.
They include the Rovers Return pub, The Kabin shop, Audrey's hair salon, businesses Underworld and Street Cars, the medical centre, Victoria Terrace and the homes of the Platt and Webster families.
ITV is relocating the drama's set from Granada Studios in Manchester to nearby Trafford Wharf. The new set will replicate the appearance of the original Weatherfield but will be built on a larger scale to cater for the demands of high definition TV.
Venning director Lisa Elliot said they were proud to have won the work, which has given the workforce a huge boost.
The contract will take about two months to complete.
Lisa and her brother Kirk Venning, who is also a company director, took over from their father Keith Venning just over three years ago, changing the firm's name from KR Venning Slaters Ltd to KL Venning.
KL Venning Slaters Ltd won the contract via Askam Construction as a sub-contractor.
If all goes to plan with the set relocation, Coronation Street will start filming on the 7.7 acre site this spring.
First published at 14:45, Wednesday, 16 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Thompson offered deal by Carlisle Utd
- Curle: Assistant Colin West has been given "a couple of days off"
- Government backs plan to divert traffic away from Warwick Bridge (23 comments)
- Former Marseille forward Osei signs for Carlisle Utd
- The White Keys set for Carlisle Racecourse's Ultimate Ladies' Night
- Carlisle Utd's Project Blue Yonder stadium plan making little progress (14 comments)
- Row brewing over plans for 50 new homes in Wetheral (2 comments)
- Plans for 189 new homes in Carlisle get go-ahead (14 comments)
- Huge solar park set to get go-ahead in north Cumbria (2 comments)
- Family history page (75 comments)