Carlisle Utd chief wants bumper crowd for Wycombe game
Last updated at 12:40, Thursday, 15 December 2011
Carlisle United today launched a ‘six appeal’ – calling on fans to roar the Blues into the play-off places this weekend.
The Cumbrians want a 6,000 crowd to fire up Greg Abbott's team against Wycombe – so they can enter the Christmas period in sixth place.
United's promotion push has gathered momentum in recent weeks and victory against struggling Wycombe at Brunton Park can further boost their bid. And the Blues today issued a rallying call to supporters to pack Brunton Park for the final home game of 2011.
Managing director John Nixon said: “If we are to be successful in achieving a place in the play-offs a significant aspect of it will be down to the part played by the home support.
“A strong vocal backing transmits to the players and that brings a positive response. It’s surprising what the support of 6,000 as opposed to a backing of 4,000 can bring.
“So let’s have the Big Six on Saturday – sixth place achieved in the league table with the backing of 6,000 fans.”
Carlisle will enter the top six if they beat the Chairboys and Brentford fail to win at Bury.
Their 2-1 win at Scunthorpe last weekend took them to seventh in a tight race for sixth spot, which sees six points separating 11 teams from Brentford down.
The Blues have only broken the 6,000 barrier once this season – for the 3-2 win against Sheffield Wednesday in October.
Fans have been starved of home action of late with only one Brunton Park fixture – the 1-0 win against Colchester – since October 26.
The Wycombe game is followed by trips to Preston on Boxing Day and Huddersfield on December 30.
First published at 11:31, Thursday, 15 December 2011
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Former bank manager jailed after Carlisle detectives crack Champagne scam
- Cumbrian village's scarecrow festival is good causes fund-raiser
- Cumbrian villagers adopt phone box - to grow tomatoes in
- Lapping concern over Carlisle United bid by ‘outsider’
- Mum at baby’s bedside after A66 road crash tragedy
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (140 comments)
- Conservative Stevenson retains Carlisle (106 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Stagecoach making changes to bus routes across Carlisle (36 comments)
- Action to tackle starling problem in Carlisle city centre (26 comments)