Carlisle United Trust looks to increase membership
Last updated at 11:58, Saturday, 23 February 2013
The chairman of the Carlisle United Trust believes the time is now right to make a renewed attempt to dramatically increase its membership.
Normal Steel said he hoped an open meeting, held at Brunton Park last night, would be the start of a new bid to boost numbers in the fans' group, which currently stand at "just less than 300".
Steel, the Trust's elected director on the board at United, said: "We think it's time to increase the membership. I have already had several expressions of interest in the last week.
"We hope this will be the start of similar meetings to get things going again."
At the meeting, which was attended by around 40 people, the trust's board accepted they must make big strides to improve their PR, with Steel saying a revamp of its outdated website was among the improvements in the pipeline.
Steel added that recent moves by the umbrella group Supporters Direct, including a major meeting in parliament recently, can lead to trusts having a bigger influence in the running of clubs.
Referring to United, where the trust has a 25.37 per cent shareholding, he said: "I genuinely believe we are moving forward now and we are in a prime position to push on, particularly as we have a director [John Nixon] on the board of the Football League who are one of the major players in this."
The trust again stressed that they would not stand in the way of "a good owner doing good things in the interests of the club".
First published at 11:35, Saturday, 23 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (12 comments)
- Carlisle man reached 110mph on 19-mile police chase
- I was 'stitched up' on Channel 4 Come Dine With Me show, claims Carlisle man
- Tories choose their Workington candidate for General Election (15 comments)
- Former pub set for new lease of life as house
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (8 comments)
- Cumbrian bakery lands huge cake deal with Costa Coffee chain (11 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (5 comments)
- Carlisle artist gets job to design AC/DC album motif on guitarist's coffin (2 comments)
- Carlisle Utd on the brink of 'exciting' new investment (26 comments)