Carlisle United's kids lift Cumberland Cup after 8-1 win
Last updated at 11:55, Wednesday, 24 April 2013
Carlisle United’s kids stole the show as the Blues swept to a third Cumberland Cup final victory in a row.
United’s promising teenagers upstaged more experienced team-mates in the emphatic 8-1 victory against Whitehaven.
Alex Salmon, who joins the pro ranks next season, scored twice and was involved in all United’s other goals.
And with youth players like Kyle Dempsey and Connor Thomson impressing, coach Eric Kinder could not hide his delight.
“The performance, especially from the young ones, was terrific and we thoroughly deserved that scoreline,” he said.
“The Cumberland FA tell me it’s the first time a club has won it three times in a row in the modern era, so we are chuffed with that.”
Dempsey also scored twice with Josh Todd, Jack Lynch, Thomson and Mark Beck also on target.
Stuart Shaw claimed Whitehaven’s consolation and Kinder praised the west Cumbrians – managed by former United midfielder Stuart Green – for their approach to the game, and tipped them for Northern League promotion next season.
“The only time I’ve fallen out with this competition is when clubs try and kick us and rough us up. But that hasn’t happened over the last two seasons,” Kinder added.
“We were better than Whitehaven but credit to them, they scored a good goal and I’m glad they got some enjoyment from the game. I’m sure Stuart Green will get a squad together that will threaten promotion next season because they do play the right way.”
United’s youth team will face an Under-16 team from Australian club Perth Glory this Saturday at Creighton, kick-off 11.30am.
Perth have links with Burnley and are playing the Clarets, Preston and Carlisle’s Under-16s during their trip to England.
First published at 11:23, Wednesday, 24 April 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (12 comments)
- Carlisle man reached 110mph on 19-mile police chase
- I was 'stitched up' on Channel 4 Come Dine With Me show, claims Carlisle man
- Tories choose their Workington candidate for General Election (15 comments)
- Former pub set for new lease of life as house
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (8 comments)
- Cumbrian bakery lands huge cake deal with Costa Coffee chain (11 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (5 comments)
- Carlisle artist gets job to design AC/DC album motif on guitarist's coffin (2 comments)
- Carlisle Utd on the brink of 'exciting' new investment (26 comments)