Carlisle United player’s young relative back home after op
Last updated at 11:48, Saturday, 05 January 2013
A young relative of Carlisle United defender Frank Simek has been discharged from hospital after an operation to remove his cancer.
Little Brandt Ballenger spent the first night of 2013 at home in his own bed which was “great news” for his family.
The brave youngster has stage four Wilms tumour cancer, which affects the kidneys, and treatment has so far failed to remove the aggressive cells from Brandt’s body.
Brandt, eight, had an operation before Christmas to remove both tumours and he is slowly getting better.
On Facebook, his family who live in Belleville, Illinois, near Simek’s home town of St Louis, said: “The doctors pulled the right chest tube today.
“Brandt is doing so well that they are discharging him today.
“Yeah! He will spend the first night of 2013 in his own bed and that is great news.
“Thank you for your prayers and support.
“It sure does seem to have helped Brandt.
“As always....keep the faith, remain hopeful, and please continue praying.”
Brandt’s plight has captured the hearts of people across the world while Simek has enlisted his United team-mates to show their support. They posed with a Team Brandt placard on the eight-year-old’s Facebook page, which has more than 3,000 followers.
Simek, the Blues’ American defender, said that each message of support posted on the site helps to lift Brandt’s spirits.
“Any picture that is posted on there, or any message, gives him a little boost,” he said. “We are a close-knit family and we are all praying for him.”
First published at 11:08, Saturday, 05 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Carlisle auctioneer to present BBC's Bargain Hunt
- Carlisle shop for sale with warning not to tell staff (18 comments)
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (14 comments)
- Dozens of operations cancelled at Carlisle hospital (15 comments)
- Dog suffers horrific injuries in attack on Carlisle street (14 comments)
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (8 comments)
- Cumbrian bakery lands huge cake deal with Costa Coffee chain (11 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (5 comments)
- Carlisle artist gets job to design AC/DC album motif on guitarist's coffin (2 comments)
- Carlisle Utd on the brink of 'exciting' new investment (26 comments)