Carlisle runner flies out to GB training camp in Kenya
Last updated at 11:10, Thursday, 02 January 2014
Carlisle runner Tom Farrell could have a special training partner after flying out to a Team GB camp in Kenya today – Olympic champion Mo Farah.
Farrell will spend a month high-altitude training with an elite group of GB distance runners, including Michaell Rimmer, Charlie Grice, Nick McCormick, Mukhtar Mohammed, Eilish McColghan, Laura Weightman and Gemma Simpson.
Farah, the reigning 10,000m and 5,000m Olympic and World champion, is expected to join up with the British party later this month.
The training camp at 9,000 feet in Iten will provide Farrell with the chance to get a solid winter’s training under his belt, before the Border Harrier bids for a place at this year’s Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.
“It will be great to get a month of training in a very focused environment,” he said.
“There will also be a very good group of people to train with and I can get away from distractions and Christmas cake and sweets.
“Winter training is very important and there are lots of physical benefits of altitude training.
“It will give me an opportunity to get back to peak mileage after a week off and, of course, there is a lot of history with Kenyan endurance runners.”
Farrell is considering staying in America, where he has been based for four years while studying at Oklahoma State University, rather than returning to Britain.
The 22-year-old believes he has a better chance of progressing his career in America as Britain’s top distance runners Farah and Chris Thompson are both based on the other side of the Atlantic.
His trip to Kenya comes after he finished 12th in an 81-strong field in a time of 29min 59sec at last month’s European Cross-Country Championships in Belgrade.
He was 48 seconds adrift of Spanish winner Alemayehu Bezabeh, but his effort was enough to help Team GB to third place behind Spain in the team standings.
Farrell was second of the GB contingent to finish, with Andy Vernon of Aldershot, Farnham & District AC ahead of him.
First published at 11:08, Thursday, 02 January 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Carlisle auctioneer to present BBC's Bargain Hunt
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (14 comments)
- Tories choose their Workington candidate for General Election (15 comments)
- Carlisle man reached 110mph on 19-mile police chase
- 'Knighton' in Twitter claims over Carlisle Utd (5 comments)
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (8 comments)
- Cumbrian bakery lands huge cake deal with Costa Coffee chain (11 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (5 comments)
- Carlisle artist gets job to design AC/DC album motif on guitarist's coffin (2 comments)
- Carlisle Utd on the brink of 'exciting' new investment (26 comments)