Carlisle racer hopes to back up Japan win in China
Published at 16:06, Tuesday, 30 October 2012
CARLISLE driver Alex MacDowall is aiming for back-to-back wins in the World Touring Car Championship when he tackles the Shanghai International Circuit in China this weekend.
MacDowall hopes to maintain momentum after his victory in the Independents Trophy race in the last round in Japan just over a week ago.
The 21-year-old rookie is aiming for a top-three position in the Independents Trophy and a top 10 in the overall drivers’ standings.
He is currently fourth in class and ninth overall with two rounds remaining.
Despite his lack of knowledge of the WTCC tracks, and the fact it’s his first season of competition in the World Championship, MacDowall has been a revelation at the wheel of his turbo-powered Chevrolet Cruze.
“We had a good weekend in Suzuka and I’m confident we can be as competitive again in China,” said MacDowall. “It’s another new track for me but the Chevy is the best chassis in the championship so I don’t think we should have anything to worry about – and the team is doing a great job.
“Realistically, winning the Independents’ title is out of reach with only four races left, but we’ve still got a chance of trying to finish second and that’s what I’m aiming for.
“Since the first win in Austria things have gone really well and we’ve had a good run, so I’m aiming to continue that and hoping to get two more podiums at the weekend.”
Shanghai International Circuit, situated in the Jiading district of China’s biggest city, will host WTCC testing on Friday, before practice and qualifying on Saturday ahead of Sunday’s races.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Carlisle man harassed ex-partner within days of leaving prison
- Story Homes pledges to fund village school if new Carlisle estate approved (4 comments)
- How long until Cumbria gets 4G or even decent 3G coverage?
- Carlisle man refused benefits - for the sake of £3 NI shortfall
- Carlisle United swoop for loan defender
- Warning as 1,800 council jobs hang in the balance (83 comments)
- 40 new jobs on cards as KFC plans Carlisle drive-through (4 comments)
- 'Parking charges will ruin a lot of people’s livelihoods,’ says Carlisle trader (38 comments)
- Work to start 'within weeks' on new supermarket in Carlisle (22 comments)
- Anger over plan to charge £20 to park outside your home in Cumbria (69 comments)