Carlisle muffin shop best in Britain
Last updated at 13:26, Monday, 05 November 2012
A shop in The Lanes in Carlisle has won a top award.
Muffin Break owners Steve and Nicola Lambert were thrilled was named best out of the 45 UK stores.
The couple, who have been running Muffin Break for two years, flew out to Sydney, Australia, for the award ceremony last month.
Steve, 44, said: “We were really pleased to win this award. We’re really proud.”
The couple have watched their business go from strength to strength with added sales growth year on year.
Steve said: “Muffin Break is an Australian company and they have more than 200 outlets over there.
“It’s so popular it’s like McDonald’s.
“We have eight staff in Carlisle and I think what sets us apart from other stores is that we cook everything from scratch which really does make a difference.
“We also have friendly staff which give a real personal service and remember our customers on their return visits.”
The couple say they had a great time in Sydney and had time to fit in a visit to Bondi Beach and the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
Steve, who is originally from Newcastle, said: “We had a cocktail party at the Sydney Opera House which was amazing.
“I was sipping my wine when they read out that we’d won. I couldn’t believe it.”
The couple were winners of the FOODCO James Fitzgerald Retail Excellence Award for MB UK.
A spokesman from Muffin Break’s head office, said: “Steve and Nicola, over the last two years, have built a successful Muffin Break business.
“Through long hours and attention to coffee quality, high service standards, staff development and store presentation Steve and Nicola have developed loyalty and repeat visits from their regular customers and driven sales growth.
“They are passionate about their business in Carlisle and are looking to become multi store owners one day.
Janet Murray, marketing manager, at The Lanes, said: “It’s great news for them and The Lanes – and another accolade for the city.”
First published at 13:22, Monday, 05 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Carlisle Railway Station named alongside nation's greats
- What’s in store as Paris comes to Carlisle at old Hoopers' site
- Carlisle boss: We will not be relegated (36 comments)
- Sausage roll eating osteopath now working in Carlisle rapped
- Cumbrian school with no pupils costs £8,000 a month to run (8 comments)
- New department store for Carlisle's empty Hoopers building (25 comments)
- Planning go-ahead for Cumbria council's new £10m HQ (34 comments)
- 'We're hidden in full view because we look like the guy next door' (16 comments)