Carlisle fire tragedy prompts plea for alarm safety checks
Last updated at 12:29, Wednesday, 13 February 2013
Firefighters have warned people to get their home checked by professionals after a man died in a fire in Carlisle.
They urged homeowners to take advantage of their free safety check service after a 66-year-old man died in what the fire service believes was a tragic accident in the early hours of yesterday morning.
The man, who has not been identified, was found in his living room at around 3am. Neighbours were alerted by smoke alarms and called the emergency services, but the man was pronounced dead at the scene.
An investigation into the cause of the blaze, at Linton Street, off London Road, is now underway.
Carlisle West station manager Craig Drinkald said the fire service’s safety check involved them checking every room in the house for potential hazards.
“We speak to people about their everyday behaviour in the home to try and identify anything they do that may increase the risk of a fire in the home,” he added.
“It is especially tragic when a fatal house fire occurs. We would like to take this opportunity to remind people to check their smoke alarms on a regular basis.”
Mr Drinkald said everyone was eligible for a free check and the Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service encouraged those who hadn’t booked one to get in touch.
“It could just save your life,” he added.
He said fire crews would stay in the area for the next two days while completing their investigations, and the public were encouraged to talk to the crews to see if they were able to arrange free home safety checks.
Alternatively, people can call 0800 358 4777 or book online at www.cumbriafire.gov.uk.
A spokeswoman for Cumbria police said the fire was not being treated as suspicious and the coroner had been informed. The man’s identity will not be released until an inquest is opened, which is likely to be in the next few days.
First published at 12:27, Wednesday, 13 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk