Stobart Group strikes deal for new base in Scotland
Last updated at 15:56, Friday, 24 February 2012
Stobart Group has signed a deal for a new base in Scotland in what is understood to be the first major industrial property deal north of the border for six months.
The parent company of Eddie Stobart is to set up a new distribution facility at Eurocentral, on the M8 at Bellshill between Glasgow and Edinburgh.
The firm signed a deal with Muse Developments to take a 68,000sq ft ‘Pinnacle’ building at the site, creating 40 jobs.
It will house refrigeration and office facilities.
The company said the move would allow them to meet growing business demand from central Scotland and the location, 11 miles from Glasgow, was key to development plans.
They already have 40 other Stobart sites around the UK and Europe. Richard Butcher, deputy chief executive of Stobart Group, told The Cumberland News it would help to create more efficient supply chains.
“The new distribution facility will secure valuable jobs within the area and the site is ideally located for us to service the central belt and create an efficient distribution service for current and potential customers,” he said.
Stobart Group, which has signed a 15-year deal, joins names such as Hovis, Morrisons, Warburtons and Argos.
The Sun, The Times and The Sunday Times are also all printed at the Eurocentral site. Commercial property expert, Douglas Smith of CBRE said the deal would be warmly welcomed by the sector in Scotland and also felt it could act as a catalyst for further development in the months ahead. Scottish Enterprise is Muse Developments' long-term business partner at Eurocentral and economic development agency’s project manager, Paul Wedlock, also felt the Stobart deal was a welcome development in the sector.
“This announcement is great news for Scotland and I wish the company every success with its future growth plans,” he said.
First published at 14:10, Friday, 24 February 2012
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- BMX teens doing stunts on roof of Cumbrian school (1 comment)
- Your pond life is no match to majesty of our lakes (2 comments)
- Carlisle 'bypass' cutting congestion through city (17 comments)
- Luxury apartments plan in Cumbrian village (3 comments)
- Quarter of small Cumbrian businesses optimistic (2 comments)
- Top doctor blasts his ‘frightening’ stay at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary
- North Cumbria farmers frustrated over bridge closure
- Carlisle school ‘still one of best’ despite Ofsted blow, claims head
- Carlisle city centre clothes shop closing down (33 comments)
- Carlisle bar to close for £500,000 facelift
- Ex-Liverpool wide-man signs for Carlisle Utd (25 comments)
- Carlisle council leader Joe Hendry has died (40 comments)
- Carlisle Utd back in Lee Miller talks (23 comments)
- Carlisle College gets planning go-ahead for £5.3m arts and media centre (6 comments)
- Parking free-for-all after yellow lines blunder (21 comments)