Prices cut and new routes added in Carlisle bus battle
Last updated at 12:51, Friday, 21 December 2012
The battle for bus passengers between Stagecoach and Reays has taken another twist.
Stagecoach has just slashed the price of the Carlisle Dayrider ticket from £2.60 to £2 until the end of February, undercutting its rival.
Meanwhile, Reays is about to launch a service from Carlisle to Workington via Thursby, Wigton, Aspatria and Maryport, in competition with Stagecoach’s 300 service.
It starts on January 7 and will provide up to six journeys each way, Mondays to Saturdays, with some additional trips as far as Wigton. Most will go via the Cumberland Infirmary, providing a direct link to the hospital from west Cumbria.
Stagecoach’s Carlisle Dayrider provides a day’s unlimited travel within the urban area of Carlisle.
Following the launch of Reays’ City Hopper network in 2010, Stagecoach cut the price to £2.90, then £2.60. Reays’ day ticket costs £2.60.
First published at 12:50, Friday, 21 December 2012
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (13 comments)
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (39 comments)
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (8 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (5 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (29 comments)
- German Baroque and Spanish renaissance music in the Lakes
- Mum at baby’s bedside after A66 road crash tragedy
- Masked robber's 'terrifying' knife point raid at Carlisle shop
- Former bank manager jailed after Carlisle detectives crack Champagne scam
- Lapping concern over Carlisle United bid by ‘outsider’
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (140 comments)
- Conservative Stevenson retains Carlisle (106 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Stagecoach making changes to bus routes across Carlisle (36 comments)
- Action to tackle starling problem in Carlisle city centre (26 comments)