Plan to add more rooms at Carlisle Premier Inn
Last updated at 13:34, Friday, 06 June 2014
The Premier Inn at Carleton, Carlisle, is planning to add 18 bedrooms.
The hotel, to the south of the city close to M6 junction 42, already has 62 bedrooms.
It has tabled a planning application with Carlisle City Council to build a two-storey extension containing 20 en-suite rooms, although two existing rooms would be lost to provide access corridors leading to a net increase of 18.
Construction work is likely to start almost as soon as planning consent is granted.
Premier Inn hopes to open the extension on January 26 next year.
However, the company was unable to confirm if any additional jobs would be created. The plans show that the new wing would be finished in a combination of red brick and render, under a grey tiled roof, to match the rest of the building.
There would also be changes to the car park and landscaping.
Premier Inn is owned by Whitbread, the former brewer, which also owns Costa, Brewers Fayre and Beefeater.
The budget chain has more than 670 hotels with 55,000 rooms and has announced plans to expand the number of hotel rooms to 75,000 by 2018. by opening new hotels and extending existing sites.
It aims to open around 4,500 new UK rooms in 2014-15, with a third of these expected to be in London.
There are four Premier Inns in Carlisle and one just off the A595 at Howgate near Whitehaven.
First published at 13:19, Friday, 06 June 2014
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Primark and John Lewis most wanted shops for Carlisle (13 comments)
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (39 comments)
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (8 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (5 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (29 comments)
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (127 comments)
- Conservative Stevenson retains Carlisle (104 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Stagecoach making changes to bus routes across Carlisle (32 comments)
- Action to tackle starling problem in Carlisle city centre (24 comments)