National award for Stobart Rail team
Last updated at 08:52, Friday, 26 October 2012
Carlisle's Stobart Rail Team has won this year’s Rail Team of the Year Award at the RailStaff Awards 2012.
Will McMurray accepted the award on behalf of the team.
The RailStaff Awards is an annual event recognising the hard work, courage and professionalism of the men and women who deliver Britain’s railway every day, round the clock.
In appalling weather the team helped complete a re-rail and weld project on 700 metres of the Manchester Metrolink in 51 hours – the only window of time available to them.
The circumstances of the job changed and the team were able to work round this completing the job in time.
Part of the Stobart Rail Group, led by Mr McMurray had to remove and replace ballast, install continuous welded rail, new adjustment switches and a pair of insulated rail joints.
They then had to tamp the ballast and stress the track over a distance of 975 metres.
Kirk Taylor, Stobart Rail managing director, said: "This award is extremely important for Stobart Rail and it's a sign of national industry recognition for our attention to detail on an very challenging job.
“Last-minute operational problems could easily have put the track works in jeopardy but the experience of our team, headed by Will McMurray, really shone through and ensured the essential track renewal was completed on time.
First published at 08:50, Friday, 26 October 2012
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (39 comments)
- Carlisle council to invest millions of pounds outside Cumbria (7 comments)
- Tories would 'rip out and skip' parking meters if they take control of Cumbria (4 comments)
- Cumbria council's new £10m headquarters move step closer (29 comments)
- Carlisle can't cope with any more budget supermarkets - claim (41 comments)
- Carlisle taxi drivers must pass spoken English test to get licence (8 comments)
- Carlisle council must cut £4.5m more from budget (21 comments)
- Free wifi network to launch in Carlisle city centre next week (14 comments)
- MPs press case to dual A69 road between Carlisle and Newcastle (30 comments)
- Man who scrapped Cumbrian on-street parking charges to quit (13 comments)